new laptop ideas

EricM

Daemon Poster
i am going to get a laptop within the next few months and im stuck between two options. I was going to get a dell but since theyll probably be shifting to vista within the next few months im a bit discouraged to get a dell now. i dont want vista until everything is worked out... (drivers, software compatibility etc). so my other option is to get a macbook as i will not be needing this laptop for gaming. so what would you do?

I'm usually a windows person, but I gotta go with the macbook. Better laptops IMO and youa re right about the vista thing.

Go with a macbook. You should be able to install vista on bootcamp. Also mac OS is more secure and stable than windows and it's also better for multimedia stuff.

will there be any issues when mac os x leopord comes out like program incompatabilities and stuff like that? because mac os x leopord will probably launch before i get this new laptop.

EricM said:
i am going to get a laptop within the next few months and im stuck between two options. I was going to get a dell but since theyll probably be shifting to vista within the next few months im a bit discouraged to get a dell now. i dont want vista until everything is worked out... (drivers, software compatibility etc). so my other option is to get a macbook as i will not be needing this laptop for gaming. so what would you do?

well here is the thing, even if you wont be doing gaming on the laptop there are some very good changes coming to the notebook world, most of them are associated with Intel's new (not yet released, comes out in 2H 07) platform, Santa Rosa,
IN fact parts of it are already in the works, but it will sum up all the great progress that has been made in notebooks after the pentium M.

for example: Core 2 Duo processors for notebooks are only sitting in make shift sockets right now, the new chipset will be something like a mobile p965 and will allow the core 2 duos to run at a fsb of 800 mhz. ddr2 800 will also be supported although this wont happen right away because manufacturers are slow to release this sort of stuff until there is a full demand. newer wireless cards will be used and they are supposed to be much faster and allow longer battery life. Of course vista will be fully supported as opposed to current notebooks, which dont necessarily have everything it takes to run vista. Newer video cards are just around the corner, this is good news for not only gamers but everyone, because right now the standard of mobile graphics cards is extremely poor (the likes of ati 1600 are being called "fast").

so if you can wait a few more months that would be perfect, if not, then there are great notebooks being made by hp, and asus right now, two of the companies that I would recommend the most. also look at toshiba, and sony if you have the money.

hmm i guess this changes everything now... but is this slated to come out in the 2nd half of 2007 or 2nd quarter? i did a bit of research on google and saw Q2 somewhere. Well i may hold off until the summer now to get a laptop so i guess i have lots of time.

EricM said:
will there be any issues when mac os x leopord comes out like program incompatabilities and stuff like that? because mac os x leopord will probably launch before i get this new laptop.

I don't think there will be. Tiger to Leopard isn't as big of a transition as the XP to Vista transition. There shouldn't be any software compatibility issues, if there are I haven't heard of them.

The new laptops you speak of, and the newer vid cards, when will they be out?

May perhaps? June? Or far later in the year?

Back
Top Bottom