AMD compared to Core2duo

AMD is built more for gaming, while Intel is more for processing. Just throwing that out there. But you can do both with both.

medabomb2000 said:
AMD is built more for gaming, while Intel is more for processing. Just throwing that out there. But you can do both with both.
Um...no.

In the past when they competed with the Pentium series processors, this was true.
The Core 2 Duos destroy the same price level AMDs in any application, and this is coming from an AMD fan.

Look at the E6600 ($300) ruin the FX-62 ($680):
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2014654,00.asp

I would recommend an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. This CPU has the best price vs. performance. It was the two time customer's choice award at newegg.com, probably the best site to buy computer parts online:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
Also, if you overclock, it's an amazing overclocker.

Some additional advice - don't buy a really expensive video card yet, wait for the prices of the DirectX 10 video cards to drop.

Other than that, make sure you get some quality RAM (like Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, etc.). For that budget, I'd recommend about 2 GB of DDR2-800 or DDR2-667.

For the power supply, get a good name brand (Antec, OCZ, etc) and get probably at least a 500 watt one, preferably 600 watts.

medabomb2000 said:

Not anymore. Intel's Core 2 Duo is the king because it outperforms AMD's Athlon 64 processors in virtually ALL categories. :D

yeah intel is owning amd at the moment in the cpu market although i think in the budget market amd owns totally but seing as this is for gaming get an intel

im def gonna go with an intel core 2 duo, but i am gonna customize one at www.cyberpowerpc.com I a checkin out some stuff there and making sure I keep the price around 1400 or 1500.

Intel is probably your best bet right now. And, if I could recommend you building the PC youself, you may want to consider that. It's not really that hard, plus it saves you money on shipping and you'll have all your parts in about 3 days instead of waiting weeks for the thing to get built and sent to you.

Back
Top Bottom