First overclock wall suggestions?

I posted a while ago about software programs for overclocking but realized there about worthless for a good overclock. So i've been messing around in the bios with some help from overclock.net. Right now I have all my voltage settings on auto etc.

I increased my FSB to 1285 running 2.89GHz tried 1290 but froze during the bench06 test. So i'm guessing I need to increase the voltage from here or do I need to raise or lower the ram to go higher? I havn't messed with my ram timings yet there showing 5,6,6,15,23. If somebody could elaborate on what these do specifically and how to lower these safely I would appriciate it! FSB ratio is currently 4:5 do I need to change this?

Also is there a bios update or anyway I can get around the clock multiplier lock?

Thanks for the help guys here's a snapshot.

Overclock.jpg

raising voltages will help if it's an issue with them, lowering ram speed will help if it's an issue with the ram. (this should change when you change the fsb ratio) Try them out and see which helps, kinda hard to say from here, though I'd start with the voltage.

And about the ram timings, well wikipedia will tell you what they exactly mean, and since you are overclocking I don't suggest lowering them (at least in this point)

yeah just test it. And you can always change the fsb ratio thingy back to the 4:5 if you want to get the same ram speed as you do now.

Raise voltages, high tempereatures could cause a problem. Knowing what mobo and ram are you using? and are you on the stock cooler?

Edit: Just noticed your temps and voltages to the right, and they don't seem bad if they are right. You might want to raise chipset voltages if you haven't done that already.

Ya i'm still on a stock cooler but all my temp gauges say about the same thing give or take a few degree's. As for the ram speed I want to overclock it as well just not sure how to go about doing the ram.

Its alright to change the voltage after the FSB has been changed then. I don't need to go back to default and increase it. As far as chipset voltages i'm guessing your referring to the northbridge correct?

Also Cabbspapp I see you have your multiplier at 415x7 how did you change it?

I probally won't try anything till this evening i'm just looking for some thoughts and input before I proceed. I really wanted to get at least 3GHz stable. I'll order a a new cooling system soon enough just want a medium overclock for now. Just havn't decided if I want to go water cooling or just get a new cpu fan.

MattieDaShark83 said:
As for the ram speed I want to overclock it as well just not sure how to go about doing the ram.

well just use the divider and see what happens. Though that ram should go pretty far. But just remember that everytime you raise the fsb you raise the ram speed too, so going too high with fsb will require to slow down the ram so it won't run too fast.

MattieDaShark83 said:
Also Cabbspapp I see you have your multiplier at 415x7 how did you change it?
he didn't. The stock one for E6300 is 7.

O my bad. Figured they all ran at x9

Actually I have a couple different modes on my FSB. I believe I have it in Precision CPU/Memory mode so the memory doesn't change as I increase my FSB. When I had it on precision CPU mode I believe thats when it automatically increases the ram as well.

Also what are you referring to as a divider? Would that be the timings themselve or something else altogether. Remeber i'm relatively new to all of this . I'm just now beginning to understand the CPU stuff I'm still a bit lost with the ram lol.

Look at the memory tab on CPUZ and tell us what it says. I'm not sure that your temp monitor is showing the right temperature, because I'm running my E6300 with a TT Tower 112 with a 120mm fan sitting in front of it and my idle temps are 39-42C and load around 60C. Try using CoreTemp to monitor your temps.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

divider = the fsb ratio. I'm just used to calling it divider :p, I guess it's different between mobo manufacturers. My mobo just says ddr speed or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom