Securing your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
uid=[0] said:
If it is of any assistance, as far as quality goes. I use F-Secure's Blacklight to look for rootkits, for one main reson. they are a talented "security" company. aka hackers with paychecks. they are the type of people who could make rootkits and study their code and know what they are looking for to detect them. im sure to an extent that the other antivirus/spyware companies do this as well, however from my experience they tend to try and do reverse engineering on the virus's and such to find an identifying mark to scan for. F-Secure knows how they are made, and knows more detail's about them to be able to scan in further detail to search for them.

uid-0 you have been all over cf otday:) And wow this is an old thread...

MooseMan said:
well spysweeper has a option to scan rootkits so do i really need the blacklight thing? also i don't understand how the hacker defender works, can u explain? lol

if you check out this link you will find out the info your asking about..

Yeah, the guide is coming along great, i was going to add it to there , but it's good as is. Lots of info in both threads :p

I followed the guide and created a user account, but now I cannot run windows update (unless logged on as the administrator) due to my limited user status.

I wondering how/if I can grant my user authority to run windows updates?

I think there is one point people seem to forget, internet explorer and/or other browsers that have java enabled are vunerable, as new trojans are about that are currently undetectable, when you visit some sites a trojan script is installed on your Computer enabling others to remotely compromise your network or PC, this effectively bypasses all your security.

I good suggestion is to disable Java in your browser, you can always select the sites you trust and add them to your trusted sites list.

BullDog(UK)

hmmm. i hate spyware myself having been affected severely by them twice in the same year already. For me, i go to my routers configuration and turn on the firewall. But if the future spyware gets through i use superantispyware from majorgeeks.com its great. anti-virus... i don't believe anti-virus is really important. I have avg, and all it does is steal space on my hard drive and clog it by downloadin updates. And adaware se is not very reliable anymore as is spybot s and d. Both have failed tremedous times. And the online scanner x cleaner is great too.

How will I know if somebody in my office is spying on my PC? That is whether my PC is being spied on to check the web sites I visit and all?

You dont, thats the whole point in spying :p If you dont go on anything you shouldnt, then youll be fine! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom