Vista To Be Released Online

I think I want Vista now lol just to try out....
my computer can run only the home Basic edition

Windows Vista Home Basic

• 512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
• DirectX 9-class graphics card
• 32 MB of graphics memory
• 20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space
• Internal or external DVD drive
• Internet access capability
• Audio output capability

Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business and
Windows Vista Ultimate
1 GB of system memory
• Windows Aero-capable graphics card*
• 128 MB of graphics memory
• 40-GB hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space (the 15GB of free space provides room for temporary file storage during the install or upgrade)
• Internal or external DVD drive
• Internet access capability
• Audio output capability​

David Lindon said:
What annoys me is that everything except ultimate lacks the features everyone needs. Thats a crafty way of getting everyone to pay for the most expensive version

Hmm, I kinda disagree. I've got Business which can do basically everything I need it to. I don't use stuff like the Media Center bits (never used it on XP, it seemed kind of pointless) or BitLocker Drive Encryption (whatever the hell that is, chances are I don't need it).

I'd say just look at the MS features charts, and choose the one which basically covers all your needs. But, if you want to cover all angles, go for Ultimate I guess.

And Nate's right. My specs:

1GB RAM
256Mb GeForce Go6800 PCI-E
2.0Ghz Pentium M

Vista installer reported it needed 6GB disk space, but it seems to take up much more than that. Even with 1GB RAM and the fast graphics card, there's sometimes noticeable delay for things to happen (e.g. MP3 stops playing 1.5 seconds after you hit the pause button), and obvious slowdown when doing things like YouTube or the Windows-Tab thing.

I'm on a clean install, so there can't be any other major problems going on in the background.

Actually, I don't see any lags, exept longer wait times and lags on Aero. It doesn't come to the ffact that I press pause and I wait 1.5 sec...it just does it as soon as I release it.

It basically depends on your setup. I've been having it for a while and it's a good OS. More RAM would finish the trick.

I got it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vista Business baby and it owns big time!!! This is not RC1 or RMT, or whatever Beta release. This is the actual retail version. I have never felt like a kid before because everything is so different. It took me like forever just to get the Internet to work. I'm don't even have antivirus or firewall install. Windows Vista has a lot of new features in which is detects any hardware and software fault. My Epson scanner isn't working because there are no known drivers yet for my particular model.

I didn't have to install my motherboard utility CD like I thought I would. PC's running fine with all settings available. It has native USB 2.0 support, wireless support for all your hardware. My wireless keyboard and mouse picked right up. My printer works just fine wihout HP driver discs. Funny. Vista must already have all those drivers already.

Now for the interface. The 3d flip is fun!!!!! Wow. I love it. Makes scrolling open apps tons easier now. Just use your scroll wheel to navigate and click--boom you're there. Plus, the preview from the flips are live, meaning that it shows you what is actually going on instead of freezing the frame. Just the little things are different. When you download something, browsing destination folder is different. New shortcut menus, control panel seem to have tons more feature, you can sort things in different views than ever before, the glass windows are neat. Minimizing and maximizing is fun because it kind of swoop up and down to the taskbar.

I have yet to crack the surface with Vista. I'm off to installing more stuff such as 32 bit SB Audigy driverss. Yes, my version I got is 32 bit Vista Business. I thought it would install 64 bit, but it didn't. When you start up the PC, this windows pops up (you can disable it) that tells you what you want to do, PC info, etc. etc. Well, I'm off to do more things with this OS. When I get a change, I'll post some picts. Even coming on here to computerforums.org looks different.

The scroll wheel looks different, the buttons are slightly altered, the text are different shapes, etc. The Windows Sidebar is plain, but turns invisible except for what's on there. When you maximize your window, it maximizes over it. I haven't looked into the Sidebar yet, but later on I will. There are tons to explore....................

I had no idea. What does RTM stand for? Whew, just got my sound going. I used the Vista 32 bit beta drivers from soundblaster.com. Now I just have to invest some money again or complain to Norton about getting me Vista approved security software. Haven't got Office on there yet, but I'm waiting for Office 2007 Professional!!!!!!

RTM stands for Release to Manufacturing. Dell and others, like.
I have the enitre retail thing too, and I got my entire way around underground...the elite underground, which consists me, others and the gifted programmers.

Oh, lol. My roommates kind of jealous right now because he's waiting to get his free Vista Home Premium from Dell. I'm sure they have it already so I don't know why the wait to get it.

Vista's got a bunch of resource monitors which is pretty neat. The Sidebar's got some preloaded Gadgets that are pretty cool, but kind of useless too. I've got the weather, calendar, clock, Headling feed, and slideshow running. It looks like a lot of clutter so I don't know about that. You also have the option to make it always on top or not. I just let it hang in the background.

Well, I don't have very much apps installed at the moment. I might just leave it at that. Media Player looks different from the XP version. The whole Start button is different with different way to navigate through folders and files.

Back
Top Bottom