3GHz!!!

now if i can only get round to over clocking my 4800+, unfortunately everywhere that I have read, it says that the athlon x2s arent the best over clockers,

will running at such a speed cut down the lifetime of you cpu? because im kind of trying to keep my athlon 4800x2 alive for the next few years.

Zaki said:
now if i can only get round to over clocking my 4800+, unfortunately everywhere that I have read, it says that the athlon x2s arent the best over clockers,

will running at such a speed cut down the lifetime of you cpu? because im kind of trying to keep my athlon 4800x2 alive for the next few years.

It'll reduce it for sure, but there shouldn't be a problem unless you go crazy with the voltage. The way I understand it, you'd need to upgrade your processor anyway by the time it goes out, even overclocked. It reduces it from, say 10 years, to 7-8. You should be fine, just don't put the voltage waayyyyy high. They last a long time. My dad's first machine, featuring an (unoverclocked :p) MMX, is still working up to this day. That's 12 years! Even if OCing your processor cuts the life time in half (which is an over-exaggerated estimate), it'd still run for at the very least 4-5 years or so.

And if you need any overclocking help, there are plenty of people here that know what they're talking about.

THEpiGUY said:
It'll reduce it for sure, but there shouldn't be a problem unless you go crazy with the voltage. The way I understand it, you'd need to upgrade your processor anyway by the time it goes out, even overclocked. It reduces it from, say 10 years, to 7-8. You should be fine, just don't put the voltage waayyyyy high. They last a long time. My dad's first machine, featuring an (unoverclocked :p) MMX, is still working up to this day. That's 12 years! Even if OCing your processor cuts the life time in half (which is an over-exaggerated estimate), it'd still run for at the very least 4-5 years or so.

And if you need any overclocking help, there are plenty of people here that know what they're talking about.

yeah thats what i was worried about,
you have pretty much the same specs as i do (or the ones that matter i suppose)

i have an asus a8n-32 sli deluxe, and a 4800+ x2, 2 gb of ocz 2-3-2-5 ddr400 ram (2x1gb) and an ocz 700 watt game xtreme power supply

so i might be bothering you about help soon ;) :D

Zaki said:
yeah thats what i was worried about,
you have pretty much the same specs as i do (or the ones that matter i suppose)

i have an asus a8n-32 sli deluxe, and a 4800+ x2, 2 gb of ocz 2-3-2-5 ddr400 ram (2x1gb) and an ocz 700 watt game xtreme power supply

so i might be bothering you about help soon ;) :D

Just let me know if you need any help. I know this BIOS inside and out. :D If you have a spare, slower computer, that would also help. Make sure you learn soon what "clearing the CMOS" is though, just in case you do something wrong. It has a little information in the motherboard book.

EDIT: The jumper is kinda in an inconvenient place, right under the primary PCI-E slot holder (the white thing on the right side of the blue slot).

THEpiGUY said:
Just let me know if you need any help. I know this BIOS inside and out. :D If you have a spare, slower computer, that would also help. Make sure you learn soon what "clearing the CMOS" is though, just in case you do something wrong. It has a little information in the motherboard book.

EDIT: The jumper is kinda in an inconvenient place, right under the primary PCI-E slot holder (the white thing on the right side of the blue slot).

shit, thats where my video card is, and its all over the jumper!

i actually have, two very identical systems running, both have asus a8n-32 sli deluxe mobos, 4800 x2, same 2 gb ocz ram, but are in different cases, have different power supplies (one 700 watts, one 550), one has a quadro 4500 and one has a 6800gt 512 mb. did you ever try the ai nos on your computer, does that really work well?

also im only using stock cooling, but it shouldnt be a problem these days because the rig im looking to oc is in a cooler master stacker and has plenty of ventilation and the room it sits in never goes about 72 F. the only thing is that i havent dusted out the comp in a while so i have to do that first.

Zaki said:
shit, thats where my video card is, and its all over the jumper!

i actually have, two very identical systems running, both have asus a8n-32 sli deluxe mobos, 4800 x2, same 2 gb ocz ram, but are in different cases, have different power supplies (one 700 watts, one 550), one has a quadro 4500 and one has a 6800gt 512 mb. did you ever try the ai nos on your computer, does that really work well?

also im only using stock cooling, but it shouldnt be a problem these days because the rig im looking to oc is in a cooler master stacker and has plenty of ventilation and the room it sits in never goes about 72 F. the only thing is that i havent dusted out the comp in a while so i have to do that first.

I've tried AI NOS, and it works fairly well. But I like the BIOS much better; it has way more options and you can overclock higher. As far as your stock cooling goes, install AI Booster/PC Probe and check the CPU temperature. I personally like PC Probe better, because you can set a temperature for it to alarm you when it gets that high. Under AI Booster, the big dial is the CPU temp. As long as the CPU temp doesn't get up to around 55ºC while running a CPU-intensive program, you don't need to worry about your cooling. And the motherboard can go up to ~48 safely, but that shouldn't be a problem with the Stacker.

Feel free to try AI NOS though. It's probably the simplest overclocking you can get. You just change it to 10%, and presto! You sit at 2400MHz while not doing anything, and 2640 when running games and such. But if you're crazy like me and want to go higher, AI NOS doesn't get the job done. You have to actually know a little about what you're doing to get up above 2.64.

If you need any more help, PM me if you will instead of posting in here, unless you want others' opinions/advice. Thanks.

After building computers since I was in 5th grade, by the time I was in HS I learned that Over Clocking was the cheap mans way out.

Spend the money and get the faster processor to begin with, and it will last longer than your OC'd one =]

jetter2 said:
After building computers since I was in 5th grade, by the time I was in HS I learned that Over Clocking was the cheap mans way out.

Spend the money and get the faster processor to begin with, and it will last longer than your OC'd one =]

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. Technically wouldn't a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 2.93 Ghz theoretically last the same amount of time as a X6800, if the voltages are the same? I think the only difference between the Core 2 Extreme and Duo is the unlocked multiplier, and maybe higher default voltage.

jetter2 said:

if that was so why would they make processors with unlocked multipliers on purpose

Back
Top Bottom