Think your laptop is reliable....think again

When I used to have my 233MHZ laptop, with 96MB RAM and that 12GB HDD, I tried it. It never went past the second part of install.

It restarted and just sat there...nothing. I found the problem: Only one chipset is installed and it was something like "PC and chips" or something PC.

I have a Pentium MMX 200 that runs Longhorn 3706 with 96MB ram. It's still in.

All my PIIs run Windows FLP. They're fast.

For better stability i would have at least had 256 megs of memory, not enough memory or the right tweaks, and that thing will crawl instead of run metaphorically speaking.

I ran XP on my old 333MHZ machine and it wasn't that bad. I thought it would be a lot slower. I'd still rather have 2000 pro on it. Much better for older machines IMO. XP Lite is also great for older machines as well.

amazing...so wut is xp lite?...just a version of it with everything turned down so it takes up less resources?

I had a 450MHz P2, 256MB ram, some ATI Rage AGP card, 11GB HDD. It ran XP Home SP2 fine, slower startup than newer PCs, but it ran fine for moderate use. I tried installing XP on a 500MHz Celeron 64 MB ram, 5GB HDD. It installed, but took 10 minutes to boot and ran extremely slow. Formatted and installed 98 on it.

BTW, in the screenshots, that laptop is running on SP1. If you were to update to SP2 I'm sure it would probably slow down some.

Xiggy said:
amazing...so wut is xp lite?...just a version of it with everything turned down so it takes up less resources?

it's a program that allows you to strip down XP of all the extra junk that you don't need in the OS so it's lighter and runs faster. You have to purchase it though. There's also a 98, Me and 2k lite as well. Here's the website for it: http://www.litepc.com/

Back
Top Bottom