Setting up a wireless network (Please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

balzak

Solid State Member
(If this is not the proper forum, please move)

Let's say that someone already has a DSL connection already setup on one computer, but the details are unspecified. The objective is to hookup a wireless network using this connection, but as stated, the specifics of the current setup are unknown.

If a person already has the wireless router, what else would they need at most to get it up and running? Basically, if you wanted to do it all in one night, and decided to buy everything you could need, and return the extras the next day, what would you get?

Also, how would it be possible to hookup the router so it does not interfere with the other person's connection? Basically, if the wireless router quits, the other person's hard-wired connection will not be affected. Would the best way to do this be using some sort of simple hub, to split the connection after the modem? Meaning, the connection goes from the modem, into the hub. Then, from the hub, into the other person's computer, while another connection from the hub goes into the wireless router. Or is there something else that can be used as sort of a "splitter"?

Or is this completely wrong?

Also, what if someone wanted to mount the wireless router very far away from the modem, etc? Just run a line from the modem, into the hub, with one long line going to the wireless router and one line going straight the computer that is already hooked up?

Thanks ahead for the replies.

Heres what you will need.

Wireless router
Wireless cards
pcmcia- Laptops
wireless pci card
Lan card
Cat5e cabling.

From the wall hook up up the dsl modem, then to the router. Then run your Cat5e cable to the main computer, and set up the wireless..
For this way, if the router should fail so would the main computer.. As for by passing the router incase. Not with any cheapies, I know the one at work will do this if the router shall fail.. takes some software and a 1500 buck Nortell Networks router.

As for the wireless portion, If the wep should go down it wont affect the wired connections. As for your HUB idea.. That wont work. Most DSL routers require a user and pass to do this.. Your router will have your user and pass for the modem connection. With the hub. it would send a private IP to the modem and not let the connection through.

Another thing you can do is replace your DSL modem and wireless router. You can buy a combo wireless router/modem. (Ask your ISP if they will support it) This way you have 1 piece of hardware. If the wireless fails, your wired will continue to work.

CrossCech said:
And the "guide" is crappy at best. rpgfan ... quit pushing your kindergarten art project on us.
CrossCech, this post has been reported because you were rude to rpgfan, according to the member reporting this, so apologise to him.

I believe you meant apologi'z'e.

I'll pass.

Not going to apologize for saying that someone's attempt at creating a "guide" was bad. It was a lousy diagram, and the information included was incorrect ... or as someone else later stated, "with a few flaws". The entire thing was a flaw.

CrossCech said:
I believe you meant apologi'z'e, I'll pass, not going to apologize for saying that someone's attempt at creating a "guide" was bad. It was a lousy diagram, and the information included was incorrect ... or as someone else later stated, "with a few flaws". The entire thing was a flaw.
It was petty of you to pick me up on a one letter spelling error, because I'm a mod, doesn't mean to say that I'm thick like some cops, so please don't treat me like one, OK I'll accept that you don't need to apologise, now that I can see your point, I'm not unreasonable, but I am devoted to my job as a mod, I am retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands & I'm online to CF 5 - 6 hours a day, not to pick fights, but to support the other 11 to make sure that this site runs smoothly :)

Oh, by the way, the dictionary says that an "s" or a "z" can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom