Replacing drive -help

Brian M

Solid State Member
I am replacing a drive gone bad with the Seagate Ultra ata/100 160gb drive.
I used the restore disk one other time with a new drive and it worked with no problem, it was 80gb. Now with this drive I am having trouble. I tried to partition it with the seagate utilities and it still does not load right. The restore appears to load but when I restart it does nothing. Once asked for a boot disk but I can't create one other than off the seagate utilities and it does not appear to work. The cable is correctly installed for a master ( the only drive) and have the 2 jumpers installed. One for the master and one to limit the drive capacity. I tried it without the limit jumper and Windows would start to load then do nothing. Just a black screen. Here is my system below. I upgraded the ram to 1gb and added a cd drive or 2 but no other changes. Any help? Thanks.

Performance
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.53GHz
533 MHz front side bus
512K processor cache
512MB DDR memory
Intel RAID-ready motherboard
100GB hard drive capacity
7200 RPM ATA/100 server grade hard drive
Connectivity
Integrated 10/100 network capability
6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 rear)
IEEE 1394 ports (1 front, 1 rear)
V.92 PCI 56K data/fax modem
1 parallel port
1 serial port
2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
Music, movies & more
DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive
16x DVD-ROM; 48x CD-ROM
64MB GeForce4 MX420 graphics card
Integrated audio
Powered stereo speakers
Internet keyboard
Optical scrolling mouse
Microsoft Windows®XP Home
Microsoft Works®6.0
Details
2.53 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor
533 MHz system bus
512K Level 2 cache memory
Intel Full ATX RAID-ready memory system board
512MB DRAM (1 x 512MB) system memory, expandable to 1.0 GB
266MHz double data rate SDRAM
100GB Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 (7200RPM) server grade hard drive
DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive
16x DVD-ROM; 48x CD-ROM
3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive
Graphics & Sound
64MB SDRAM video memory
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420 graphics processing unit
ADI 1981A integrated audio (2-channel analog output)
vpr Matrix 2-piece powered speakers (analog)
Expandability
1 (3.5"), 3 (5.25") external bays
2 (3.5") internal bays, upgradable to 4 (3.5")
1 (5.25") external expansion bay
1 (3.5") internal expansion bay, upgradable to 3 (3.5")
5 PCI expansion slots (4 available)
1 AGP expansion slot
Communication & Connectivity
V.92 56K data/fax modem
Intel 10/100 Integrated NIC network card
2 front, 4 rear USB 2.0 Ports
1 parallel port
1 front, 1 rear IEEE 1394 (FireWire) ports
1 serial port
2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
Keyboard & Mouse
vpr Matrix 104 Internet PS/2 keyboard
vpr Matrix PS/2 optical scrolling mouse (software included)
Software
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Software: Microsoft® Works® 6.0
CyberLink PowerDVD MPEG2 software
Vital Statistics
Dimensions: 17.1" H x 7.8" W x 18" D

I first tried just intalling the restoration cd and it just hung and windows never loaded. I tried using the seagate utilities to partition the drive so it would limit to the 137gb just in case. Then used the cd again to restore it. Now it asks for a: or cd boot disk. I used the seagate utilities to make a boot disk for the A: and that is not working. So I am at work now and figured I would look for some help. I dont have access at home right now. I left it at home running the seagate erase to "0" the full drive and I figured I would start over when I get home.

Ok, so ya have partitioned the drive, then rebooted. Did you format it? Also if its asking for a boot disc, you need to boot from your XP CD or restoration CD, and insta ll the operating system

No I don't believe I formatted it. I guess it would have to be to run windows huh? How is that done? I don't see a utility on the seagate program to do that. Yep I placed the restoration CD in the drive after I partition it and removed it when its complete. It is writing to the drive but when I start it back up again it asks for a boot disk again. I will have to check when I get home tonight to see exactly what it says. I will be starting with a fresh drive with no info on it. Thanks and I will let you know what it says exactly. Any suggestions to get started?

Are you sure it is a restore disc? It doesnt sound like its setting the HDD up as bootable. It could possibly be a damaged disc aswell. Have you got a normal XP disc you can use?

Nope, and it is not scratched, I used it before for one other drive and it appears to load. Tells me to remove disc and reboot. then that stuff happens. I only have that disc I got from VPR Matrix with my computer and it says on it Restore CD. I have used it before. I will check but I know its the right disc. I think it has something to do with the larger drive I am installing.

Back
Top Bottom