Computer to TV??

2004 GT RagTop

Baseband Member
Hey everyone.

I have recently been wondering how to operate my computer so that it comes on the TV screen? I mainly want to do this so I can watch movies on the bigger screen as opposed to my small laptop screen. I saw many years ago a friend had done it, but have since lost touch with him and don't know how he did. I thought it was pretty cool that to see the things on your computer on a bigger screen, and would like to do that. An extensive google search and I still cannot figure it out.

I read about a "S Video cable" or something of the sort, I checked my laptop and I do not believe it has a port like that. I have a Sony Vaio which is about 1.5 years old, I can't remember the model number (I want to say it was the S460, I'm on a different computer right now so I can't verify it). Am I correct that this doesn't have the proper setup for an S Video cable?

If it doesn't, I read you can buy a video card somewhere around $150 and make the tv broadcast the computer images. But then one of my other friends who is also interested in figuring out how to do this said he knew of someone that bought a cheap $10-$20 psuedo USB cable that did the trick. He said that it wasn't even a S Video cable, but something else that he found at a bargain price somewhere. Does anyone know about this? Is it true and where would I be able to get it?

If not, can someone guide me through the more expensive process of watching the computer on the tv? I know I am using the wrong terms here, hence why my search found very few results.

Thank you very much.

drumthrasher said:
ooh wow...
u don't have a dvd player?
your laptop doesn't have an s-video out? hmm...

Oh no no no, I have a DVD player. Several actual...it's sad. PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360/the actual DVD player, I'm going to need to get rid of some of those systems now that I think about it lol.

But I wanted to watch movies that I download and/or put onto my computer from my camera but have since deleted it on the camera. I have the files on my comp, tried doing some editing for a little while, but just wanted to see it on a bigger screen. I have a 13 inch laptop screen, and while it's fine, I do wish I could do computer "work" while watching it on the big screen, if that makes sense?

Yes I know downloading movies is bad :(

As far as not having an S-Video out, I don't think I do. I just bought my computer about 1.5 years ago (two summers ago), it's a really nice Sony Vaio. I looked it up online, and the model number I provided is correct, it's the S460. I read that most newer laptops have SVideo outs, but I couldn't find it?

Just looked it up, turns out my laptop DOES NOT have an S-Video out. One of the reviews I found says the following, "The lack of an S-Video out is also rather disappointing. It would be nice to take something this small and connect it to a TV without having to buy a VGA to S-Video converter."

So that now that brings up that other thing I was talking about, someone with a USB type thing made the conversion? Or do you think my friend was just mistaken and that it was indeed a S-Video cable, he seemed pretty confident that it wasn't an S-Video cable though.

hmm...nope it doesn't have one. since it has a dvd burner try burning the videos to dvd's. if u want to you can make menus so u know what ur watching. if u really want it on tv, i think u may be able to use the vga port and somehow plug it into the tv with a converter but i'm not completely sure.

I used to watch my movies on my TV via an S-Video port and my Dell is 2.5 years old...its seems strange that your Sony doesnt have one...but yeah that VGA--> S/RCA could work...assuming you have a VGA out..

Thanks for the link Matty, I'll defitnely look into that.

kjmann: Yea I find it weird as well, I read that most of the new laptops have it, but for whatever reason, my Sony doesn't. Oh well, nothing I can do about that now. I looked into it, and it DOES have VGA out. I had to google search it since I wasn't completely sure what a "VGA out" is, but in one of the reviews there was mention of it and it was pointed out in a picture.

Now if I purchase this cheap VGA-S/RCA convertor, what else would I need? It seems as though it is extremely small/short, so I assume there is more to it?

Your welcome for the link....

Now, yes you will need to also buy an S-Video cable if you plan to use that, or an RCA cable if you plan to use RCA....they are cheap as chips at either an electrical store, or i get mine at the local Reject Shop lol

I got a couple of Amazon links incase you don't know what they look like...

S-Video cable
http://www.amazon.com/S-VIDEO-CABLE...s_2/002-0094111-0656041?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

RCA Cable (use the Yellow connector for video)
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-HI-RES...r_1/002-0094111-0656041?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

That one is fairly expensive, probably because it's 25ft long. But once again, you can pick them up for nothing at Reject and Electrical stores. You just plug one end of the cable into the connector i showed you on eBay, and the other into the repective connector on the TV (either S-Video or RCA) and away you go. Don't forget i did mention it can't be guaranteed that the eBay connector thing will work, i don't think it works with all cards/laptops, but definately worth the try.

Matt

Thanks for all your help.

Hmm I can't seem to figure out if this will work with my video card. I am not very good with technical things regarding computers. How would I be able to check and see if it is compatible?

Back
Top Bottom