Questions on reinstalling Windows XP

Redonmyhead

Baseband Member
I'm going to reinstall my windows xp b/c my computer is too dang slow due to all the crap on the system. I have the restoration cds,windows xp cd, and the drivers that came with the computer. Is it hard to do? Do I use the windows xp cd 1st and then follow with the drivers, and then the restoration cds when reinstalling? Is there a good website with pics?

Also, I only have 160gb hard drive. I will use the NTFS format. My question is the partitions. Is it worth having mulptile partitions on this hard drive? What is the advantage of having mulpitle partitions? If I don't do the multiple partitions, I use the quick NTFS format? If I do the multiple partitions, I don't not choose the quick NTFS format?

I'm a noob when it comes to computers. Well, I am a Registered Nurse, not a computer tech.

Thanks,
Red

you don't need the recovery cd.

Just but the win xp cd in and boot from it. (go to bios, change the cd/dvd drive as the 1st boot device)
Then follow the setup, delete all the old partitions (will remove EVERYTHING from the hdd, if you don't want to remove stuff then don't delete the partitions)

Then either make 1 or 2 partitions. I usually just make 1 for windows and 1 for linux, but you could also make, say a 40gb partition where you install windows + all of the programs you use and then leave the 120gb partition as storage.

And if you have the time then you should use the full format, but I've always used the quick one and haven't had any problems. And the amount of partitions doesn't have any effect on which way of formatting you should use.

And then when you have succesfully installed win xp just put the driver cd in and install what you need. I'm guessing you will have to download the vid card drivers separately, but they can be easily found from the manufacturers website.

Actually the best thing to do since you have the recovery cd's (which have all the drivers already installed and the OS on them). Is to just use the recovery cd's so you don't have to worry about formatting, then reinstalling all of the drivers and programs that your computer came with. The recovery cd's will format your drive as necessary. It will be a lot easier.

medabomb2000 said:
Actually the best thing to do since you have the recovery cd's (which have all the drivers already installed and the OS on them). Is to just use the recovery cd's so you don't have to worry about formatting, then reinstalling all of the drivers and programs that your computer came with. The recovery cd's will format your drive as necessary. It will be a lot easier.

and you will most likely get tons of crap while you are at it! It will install all of the crap that came with the computer, and usually that is more than 1 or 2 programs. I wouldn't touch a recovery disc with a 5m stick, but you can use it if you want to.

If you are not sure what you are doing with computers, It is the easiest way to reformat the computer and get it to work better and run a lot smoother. It is what I would recommend if you are not familiar with computers.

Dumb question, if you have mulitple partitions, is it less stress on the processor when up and running?

No, its the same... It only allows you to place files on the 2nd partition, so if you need to reformat the computer, you can keep all of your old files with out losing them. It's good only if you plan on reformatting your computer every now and then. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanxs for the replys. appreciate it. last question, I've lost my Microsoft works suite 2002 cd, but i still have the case with the key on it. Will I be alright without it when I have everything reinstalled. I know the big thing on it is Microsoft word. Will I be alright without it? My computer is basically used for the internet.

Thanks again.

If Microsoft Suite is not on the recovery disk, then you wont have the install package to install the programs. If possible, if you know someone that has the same version of the suite as you and still has their cd, you can use that cd to install and your cd key for your computer.

or you could just download it from the internet and install it with your key, but I think it would still be illegal so we can't give you any links where to download it from.

Back
Top Bottom