Folding @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, I had to run my computer for like a week straight, before it finished either a 50000, or 20000 wu, it was a long time...

joxley1990 said:
Ok, quick question..

You know F @ H, well how do you make points, I thought it was the more workunits you have done, the more points you get.. I notice some users have like 14 work units, and more points than me.. who has done 30 workunits..

not that im arsed in any way.. but would be nice to know how to boost points up!

Use Linux SMP client under windows using VMware roughly 1000ppw

enable -advmethods

Here is a list of current projects and points associated with each WU (see link)

Link

My Stats

Points ........WU's ........ Start Date

26,421 ...... 158 .......... 11.26.06

what exactly does this do, i saw the thread for it but im not understanding it, whats its purpose, whats it do, and what do you have to do.

question wtf do u get with the points do u achieve ne thing??? i mean u give up your system for what??? it dosen't make since to me u just get name recontion??

You get the warm fuzzy feeling that you may have actually helped find a cure for a major disease, if you can't appreciate that then FAH is probably not for you.

first i don't believe in this we will help find a cure!!honestly as much as we advanced in all fields we dont have one single cure for a virus..ex common cold u cant do anything for it besides sleep...i think its a gov cons with all the major nations involved....docs make large lum sums of money to treat ppl for aids at least 12 grand a month and ppl can live for 30 years plus with it!!!!u think they want to lose that cash crop???h no....see my mom has cancer and if there was ne way to find a cure even if that ment giving up my life for it i would be all for it....but i seriously doubt that we will contribute...its more political and finical stakes involved so we hav no say so...or the gov has a cure but cant give it because as soon as they do new bio warfare shyt will comeout that could perhaps wipe out the entire human race..i researched long and hard about all this crap and its just that crap!!we mapped the human gynome but cant cure a virus??in the bible it said the devil was chained to earth!!so does that make this hell???nobody does anything for purely sci reasons!!!but thats my 2 cents

You're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that it may be so negative due to the stress of your Mum having cancer (I myself have lost two of my immediate family to cancer so I can sympathize there) but even though the results may not be instant I still like to think that by folding I am contributing something to the "betterment of mankind", it's not as if Folding has much impact apart from a little extra on the electricity bill and a slighly hotter cpu so I do not begrudge the cost.

yeah I like to contribute my cpu idle time too, don't know if it will actually help but I hope so, and I ain't really losing anything.

As for not having a cure for flu, well you have to understand how the flu works to undestand why there isn't a good cure. You can get a vaccination (sp?) for flu too, but the thing is that the flu is constanty changing, so you get a vaccination to the flu, and soon the flu is different, so the vaccination won't work anymore. Atleast I think it goes like that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom