Global Warming

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I take a debate class at my high school. In the class the teacher assigns a topic, and sometimes she assigns you a side, and sometime you pick your side to argue.

For this debate, we got to pick our sides. The issue was global warming, real or not. Everyone argued that Global Warming was real. Now I on the other hand, mainly for the purpose of being an a$$hole, ( :p ) , argued that it was not real.

My main argument was that, "scientists who beleive global warming is an inevitable truth at this stage also beleive that the leading cause of global warming is greenhouse gasses." I then argued that if greenhouses gasses thickened the atmosphere (which they do) and thusly cause more heat to be trapped in, then the greenhouse gasses would also keep a proportional amount of heat out because not as many ultraviolet rays from the sun will be able to penetrate our atmosphere. Thusly disproving the theory of global warming.

If you actually listened to my speech it was completly outraegous and proposterous (sp?). My teacher had never heard this argument before, and asked where i got it from. I told her i made it up. She was so impressed i received an 'A', and was deemed winner of the debate.

My question to all of y'all is, wether or not my theory seems plausible to you whatsoever. And do you think global warming is happening. If you do, try reading this article: http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.show/CT/PW/k/737

its a naturally occuring process, and we havent had much snow this year, and people are saying "global warming" but it doesnt happen in one year lol, this isnt a new thing, its been happening since the last ice age
sure the greenhouse gases arent helping it, but you have an awesome point, lol good job :) ill havta use that one

I'm not a big fan of "let's all jump on the global warming bandwagon because so-and-so says he's right." We can't accurately predict the weather 5 days from now... how are we supposed to believe someone predicting it 500 years from now? As far as I'm concerned, this is a natural cycle. The Earth was made to maintain itself. It's a common term in science known as equilibrium. Basically, it's a balance.
Now I'm sure you've heard of all these "scientists" telling you that oh, we're all going to die, look at all this CO2 we're producing! What with all this breathing and stuff. It's bad because it's a greenhouse gas. What does it do? It causes the Earth to warm up.

Well, to that I say... who benefits from CO2 and higher temperatures? Trees. My dad's a forester and knows about this stuff. There's some research that shows that if the temperature were to increase a little, a lot of desert area would become more lush and populated by flora. In addition to the CO2, this creates another situation. With more trees and more CO2, what do we get in return? More oxygen. The process repeats itself and people freak out all over again.

You know how they tell you the ozone hole gets bigger and bigger and BIGGER all the time? They neglect to tell you in the "off-season" that it shrinks, too. It's all about ratings.

I don't know what to think anymore. It seems like anyone who says they are a scientist on TV must be the expert on the subject. There's a lot of research for global warming. There's also a lot of research against global warming. There is a lot of very weak and inaccurate research on both sides of the spectrum. You can form your own opinion, but I just told you mine.

I'm not sure if I believe this global warming stuff. I think that as D-Lew said it's a natural cycle of the earth. I think that nuclear weapons are what will cause a huge hole in the ozone, not global warming.

D-Lew said:
We can't accurately predict the weather 5 days from now... how are we supposed to believe someone predicting it 500 years from now?
amen to that! i was sposed to get 6 inches of snow, i didnt get jack shit !!!

I was always a touch confused by the subject myself...

though I realise that many here are a little younger than I am so perhaps didn't grow up with doom sayers and ozone cans of hairspray, (not that I ever used hairspray, it's just that it was available and a cheap enert preassurization gas for aerosols...).

and way, we used to have cans of deoderant that were preassurized with Ozone (O3)
Ozone is bad for you, it apparantly sticks to your red blood cells in much the same was as carbon monoxide.

also the ozone gas is lighter than air and would rise up into the atmosphere where it would stay there or something, causeing this big insulatinf layer above the earth.

apparantly what happens is the suns rays can get in, but then they are reflected by the thick layer of ozone back to earth and it caused the planet to heat up.

but then we also had spray cans preasurized with CFCs, CFCs had a quite opposite effect, they apparantly destroyed the ozone that was in the atmosphere, causing soe kind of deficite, this led to a hole in the ozone layer,
now this was bad because more heat could get in and hence the world heated up..

but I always though, can't you make your mind up?
either ozone is bad and we need less of it, so stop with the ozone propellants.
or ozone is good and we need more so stop with the CFC propellants.

it's something that I've never really been able to get my head around, I mean which story is/was correct?

as for global warming in general, I love the way that last summer was the hottest summer for like a hundred years or since records began, and winters are getting warmer too, but it's not all that long since a few winters ago was like the coldest winter since records began or something... I mean, they study species and find that in Britain now we get super wasps, (orginally only found in warmer mainland europe, and we get more of them cause the cold winters arn't cold and arn't killing them any more.

there was a bit on the radio yesterday about red admiral butterflies being found on the south coast, a few months earlier than they would normally be seen, possibly due to more warm climates.

I guess it amazes me how there can be all these predictions for weather in 500 years based on weather patterns of the past 100 years.

I'm not saying that Global warming doesn't exist, or can't be measured,
I guess the way I feel is regardless of whether it does, or indeed doesn't exist, it's probably best to air on the side of caution and not make the possible problems worse...

Kudos for being the ass and arguing a point just for the sake of it. it's a good skill to have to be able to argue from the point of view that you don't necesarily share. probably one you'll need in later life when you're asked to do stuff in a job.

root said:
I was always a touch confused by the subject myself...

though I realise that many here are a little younger than I am so perhaps didn't grow up with doom sayers and ozone cans of hairspray, (not that I ever used hairspray, it's just that it was available and a cheap enert preassurization gas for aerosols...).

and way, we used to have cans of deoderant that were preassurized with Ozone (O3)
Ozone is bad for you, it apparantly sticks to your red blood cells in much the same was as carbon monoxide.

also the ozone gas is lighter than air and would rise up into the atmosphere where it would stay there or something, causeing this big insulatinf layer above the earth.

apparantly what happens is the suns rays can get in, but then they are reflected by the thick layer of ozone back to earth and it caused the planet to heat up.

but then we also had spray cans preasurized with CFCs, CFCs had a quite opposite effect, they apparantly destroyed the ozone that was in the atmosphere, causing soe kind of deficite, this led to a hole in the ozone layer,
now this was bad because more heat could get in and hence the world heated up..

but I always though, can't you make your mind up?
either ozone is bad and we need less of it, so stop with the ozone propellants.
or ozone is good and we need more so stop with the CFC propellants.

it's something that I've never really been able to get my head around, I mean which story is/was correct?

as for global warming in general, I love the way that last summer was the hottest summer for like a hundred years or since records began, and winters are getting warmer too, but it's not all that long since a few winters ago was like the coldest winter since records began or something... I mean, they study species and find that in Britain now we get super wasps, (orginally only found in warmer mainland europe, and we get more of them cause the cold winters arn't cold and arn't killing them any more.

there was a bit on the radio yesterday about red admiral butterflies being found on the south coast, a few months earlier than they would normally be seen, possibly due to more warm climates.

I guess it amazes me how there can be all these predictions for weather in 500 years based on weather patterns of the past 100 years.

I'm not saying that Global warming doesn't exist, or can't be measured,
I guess the way I feel is regardless of whether it does, or indeed doesn't exist, it's probably best to air on the side of caution and not make the possible problems worse...

Kudos for being the ass and arguing a point just for the sake of it. it's a good skill to have to be able to argue from the point of view that you don't necesarily share. probably one you'll need in later life when you're asked to do stuff in a job.
really? i read that the guy from red hot chili peppers gets it injected and also, the reason the winters have been so warm, is el nino

actually. not i got that wrong...

but

Ozone is is a highly reactive substance and is ready to react with whatever it meets upon contact. When it comes in contact with living tissues like our lungs it can cause damage and illness. Ozone can also corrode building materials, statues and monuments, and natural rock features in the landscape.

On summer days, the sun can easily scorch your skin, damaging layers of tissue. Your skin turns bright red and becomes very painful. Like sunburn, ozone can sear your lungs and airways causing tissue to redden and swell. Within a few days, the damaged cells are replaced and the old cells are shed in much the same way that skin peels after a sunburn. However, just like sunburn, if this kind of damage occurs repeatedly, it may start to cause permanent damage to your lungs.

Roughly one out of three people in the U.S. is at risk of experiencing ozone-related health effects. When this happens, you might start coughing, feel an irritation in your throat, and/or experience an uncomfortable sensation in your chest. These symptoms can last for a few hours after ozone exposure and may even become painful. Ozone damage can reduce the volume of air that you draw in when you take a full breath and the speed at which you are able to blow it out. Ozone can make asthma symptoms worse and can inflame the lining of your lungs.

Back
Top Bottom