REALLY slow shutdown time

SheikZ

Baseband Member
I went through that old thread about speeding up XP with optimizing the registry, and such (the one that you guys are annoyed that it keeps coming up from the year past).

Anyway, my boot up time went down dramatically, but my shutdown is still dramatically slow. Are there any optimizations for shutting down?

Shutting down is a system of closing all processes to safely turn off the computer with out losing any data. Basically the only thing you can do is lower the processes you are running, and before you click Shut Down, close out of all programs manually that are open.

Is your computer running slow when it is steady on? Just curious.

What do I do with Msconfig?

I've done just about everything on the page MarXSoccer posted, and the link.

How to Msconfig the startup By LambOfGod (go to start, run ,type *msconfig* go to the startup tab)

Now disable all the services that you do not NEED to have running. For example Adobe speed launch ect…..

You can also go to the tab services, then check the box *hide all Microsoft services*
And disable service there that you do not need

(this will not get rid of the programs, just stop them from starting up)

I've stopped everything and it's still slow. The startup is amazing, but the shut down is... unbelieveably deterioating time!

BTW, my startup speed is about this (occasionally more).

My shutdown is about 20 times that. ( is sticks on the "preparing to shut down" screen, the others are the same speed)
(6 sec shutdown - 2 min shutdown)
(also, the bars that go by are 4 on the vid, and mine go from 4 to 12 after optimization)

Speed Up Shutdown Times

It's not only startup times that you'd like to speed up; you can also make sure that your system shuts down faster. If shutting down XP takes what seems to be an inordinate amount of time, here are a couple of steps you can take to speed up the shutdown process:

Don't have XP clear your paging file at shutdown

For security reasons, you can have XP clear your paging file (pagefile.sys) of its contents whenever you shut down. Your paging file is used to store temporary files and data, but when your system shuts down, information stays in the file. Some people prefer to have the paging file cleared at shutdown because sensitive information, such as unencrypted passwords, sometimes ends up in the file. However, clearing the paging file can slow shutdown times significantly, so if extreme security isn't a high priority, you might not want to clear it. To shut down XP without clearing your paging file, run the Registry Editor and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

MOre info for you

http://www.oreilly.com/pub/h/2992

some more

http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/shutdown/4.shtml

Thanks so much!

BTW, I got a better result from the second link. I changed it to 1000, and now it's shutting down at about 5-10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom