Mom Dies Attempting to Win a Wii

"The Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously."

Quoted from Wikepedia

For those who don't know, this is a problem for marathon runners as well. To add some more info to G UK's post up there, when someone drinks too much water it dilutes the electrolytes in the body. These electrolytes promote electric currents that travel through your nervous system. Too much water, you dilute the electrolytes to a point where your nerves can't conduct, leading too some very bad stuff happening. I'm not sure if this is what caused the problem, but this is why athletes are encouraged to drink Gatorade, etc. instead of just water. You need the electrolytes.

D-Lew said:
For those who don't know, this is a problem for marathon runners as well. To add some more info to G UK's post up there, when someone drinks too much water it dilutes the electrolytes in the body. These electrolytes promote electric currents that travel through your nervous system. Too much water, you dilute the electrolytes to a point where your nerves can't conduct, leading too some very bad stuff happening. I'm not sure if this is what caused the problem, but this is why athletes are encouraged to drink Gatorade, etc. instead of just water. You need the electrolytes.

Yes thats one of the reasons why athletes drink those drinks rather then just plain water.

(original) Lucozade isn't a good enough drink for that.

notice on the bottle it says not to be used for relpacing fluid lost by Diarreah.

same thing happens with diarreah, you loose a lot of electrolytes with the (basically water) that you shit out.

(original) lucozade was only meant to be a sporting drink because it contains a few different sugars that will release energy at different times, not because it's a recovery drink that will replace the water and electrolytes lost by sweating...

out of interest I wish that there were stats available for wiki page visits, it's be interesting to know how many times that page has been viewed since this accident.

Just goes to show you, everything is bad for you. Thats why you die.

Maybe im just a horrible person but; but i lauged when i heard this. Did her kids get the Wii?

mayorredbeard said:
Maybe im just a horrible person but; but i lauged when i heard this. Did her kids get the Wii?

I would think the station would give it to them as a good will gestures

D-Lew said:
That would be pretty awkward...

Recently motherless kids: Do we at least get the Wii?
Station: Well, the rules say the Wii goes to the last remaining person, and unfortunatly your mom doesnt meet that criteria. But heres a gift basket.

wow, its really not that hard to get a wii, you just have to choose a bunch of stores in your area, see what time is a good time to call them, and just call them at that time. It took me about 3 days to get one.

Back
Top Bottom