unable to get an ip from dhcp

cg1

In Runtime
i have a pc runing xp pro with sp2 it is unable to get a vaild ip adress.

i have tried changing the nic, and have reinstaled windows.

if i manualy set ip it says its contected but its not

If you are showing a connection (XP will have 2 computers in the bottom right-hand corner with a red x to show not connected), and you're still not getting an IP, then it could be the card, but more than likely it could be the cable, or the router itself. Some things to check:

Are the correct drivers installed for the network card? Check device manager.
Have you used that cable with any other connection? If not- try it.
Have you tried a different port on the router? If not- try it.

Let us know what you see/find out. Ane we'll go from there.

cable works fine with other pcs, tring using diffrent ports, theres 2 computers in the botom corner and it says conected, but it gets the ip 0.0.0.0, try with 2 cards the work fine in other pcs, tryed with the windows drives and the drives from manufactors website

cg1 said:
cable works fine with other pcs, tring using diffrent ports, theres 2 computers in the botom corner and it says conected, but it gets the ip 0.0.0.0, try with 2 cards the work fine in other pcs, tryed with the windows drives and the drives from manufactors website
Who is your server ?,You sure they are giving you dhcp,try setiing your router connections to pppoe.

the server is my own it has dchp disabled as the router is providing dhcp for the network

What type router ? How are the PC's/Server connected ( topology )? could the XP firewall be blocking u ?

Are you fammilar with packet sniffers?

I'd run a popular packet sniffer such as wireshark on the problemed PC to see if it can see information from the rest of the network. I'd unplug the cable, start the program, plug in the cable and see if you see anything.

netgear router, star network, xp firewall is disabled , curenty don't have any firewall on it as i will install from network

Back
Top Bottom