windows XP he how many pc's install to?

Mahdrek

Baseband Member
i bought a used pc but it requires a new activation key.
I bought a new pc 2 years ago and paid for windows xp home edition. It came pre-installed and i received a recovery cd-rom, can this product key be used for multiple pc's or just the original ?

thanks

DJ-CHRIS said:
Typically 3 activations per key

Let's clarify this, before we encourage a member of CF to engage in illegal use of software. Three activations may be the total available to you, before you may be required to contact Microsoft. This also means you can only activate this key on ONE pc at a time (legally on only the original pc it came on - particularly if it is OEM) ... NOT three pc's simultaneously.

So to answer the original question posted. No ... you cannot legally use one key on multiple computers. And odds are ... if what you have is indeed a Recovery CD, you shouldn't be able to load it on any other pc than the one it came on.

And odds are ... if what you have is indeed a Recovery CD, you shouldn't be able to load it on any other pc than the one it came on.

I put my Gateway Laptop's XP Recovery software on my desktop and everything works ok... activation and everything worked ok... It's prob. not legal, but I don't do anything with the desktop, so... just forget you heard that....

thanxs all, yes it is OEM
looks like i will have to buy an additional activation code, i always figured 1 copy is good for all the pc's a person own's.

Well, in theory, CrossCeh is right, BUT, if you phone them and kive the key code, they'll never know if you upgraded or something.

Its not a theory. A user cannot legally use a single key on multiple computers, unless it's MSDN, or corporate. Didn't say that a key cannot be installed on multiple computers and activated, just that it would be illegal to do so. Sooner or later, Microsoft will catch up with you and disable the key's activation. Guess CF allows discussion of illegal use of software.

Back
Top Bottom