Windows Vista first speed tests1

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Lab Tests: Vista's Fast If You Have the Hardware

You need at least 1GB of RAM, and you'll go even faster with a dual-core processor, PC World's lab testing shows.

Our tests of Vista's 64-bit version indicate that while programs generally run slower on it than they do on the 32-bit version, adding more RAM can help wipe out the difference (see the "Apps Run Faster on 32-Bit Vista" test report). With 1GB installed RAM, the Polywell and Micro Express PCs ran our Photoshop test 12 percent and 25 percent slower, respectively, in 64-bit Vista. When we moved both systems up to 2GB, the difference disappeared completely.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128305-page,4-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

Browse around the site for more Vista news.

So basically they are saying "buy better components from us and your computer will perform better". Its basically common sense isnt it, that increasing the specs is gonna increase performance :)

They're saying that there will be a performance hit on 64 bit then compared to 32 bit version of Vista. Which is odd because you think 64 bit would be better.

But to relieve that, having more RAM should correct the speed problem. That's wierd. 64 bit should run just as fast as 32 bit Vista with the same amount of RAM.

But the actual applications that they're running, are they 32 bit or 64 bit programs? I don't think that there are any 64 bit versions of Photoshop or Far Cry at least...

I can sort of understand whats going on. If your running a 32bit application in a 64bit system, then you need an emulator to emulate the 32bit system. So there would be a decrease in performance. But if you were running the 64bit applications on your system, there should be no performance decrease

freestyler105 said:
But the actual applications that they're running, are they 32 bit or 64 bit programs? I don't think that there are any 64 bit versions of Photoshop or Far Cry at least...

I dunno about photoshop, but there is a 64bit farcry.

Back
Top Bottom