Sporadic Wireless Internet

karling07

Daemon Poster
Ok, a while back I posted that I was having trouble with playing videos from a shared file over a network. It was slow, skippy, and pausing.

Now I have realized, that if I restart our WRT54G router (unpower, repower), the videos load in a SECOND and play flawlessly! It just doesn't last long! I can't find any correlation as to why it won't last. The internet is PERFECT right after a router restart, but doesnt last, and once it stops, it doesn't come back until another router restart; itll just be slow and bad.

I dont know why this is happening - please help me

Have you tried updating the firmware? Also, there are custom firmwares available for this router, so it might be worth reading up about them. A few that come to mind are DD-WRT - its the peak of third-party firmware evolution for the WRT54G. You can flash it back to the default Linksys, or use something a touch more user-friendly like HyperWRT, but, to be honest, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice, as DD-WRT has far, far more features than almost any other firmware out there. Of course, for the true nerd, there's OpenWRT - which is a 'true' Linux based firmware, with support for all sorts of packages, including Snort

If I do this, how will it help my router from its seeming hardware problems (if it needs to be restarted all the time)

Firmware updates can sometimes sort problems like that out. I had a similar problem with a dlink G604T a while back and that helped mine. Although your problem could be something totally different. But it never hurts to use the latest firmware, you can get this direct from the linksys site.
EDIT
Also if the firmware update didnt correct the problem, then we would look at the actual hardware, but that could cost money, whereas the firmware update does'nt.

Yeah I just got the most recent firmware from linksys last weekend, no changes :( Could it be our cordless phones interfering?

Is it just the wireless section causing the problem? If it is then try a different channel in the router settings. If its the wired connections aswell, then its a problem with the actual router or a port or cable etc

can you get your hands on another router and try unpluging the cordless phone if possible and trying it if you can try a diffrent router

Back
Top Bottom