Upgrading

jp42356p

Solid State Member
ok... I know nothing about computers... But i do want to update everything... I have no clue what I have in my computer or anything... So if someone can help me figure out what I have in my computer and what i should get for it.... Thanks for the Help

alrighty, lets do this, click start>run> type dxdiag.exe now once this opens (if you never opened this up before it will ask you a yes or no question in a box, click yes dont read it its not important) anyway once this opens, it will have tabs at the top, tell me what it says on the system tab, and what it says on the video tab

i just need the processor type and speed, ram, and operating system on the system tab

on the video tab, i need the video manufacturer, model, and memory

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: DIM4500
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/18/02 13:31:28 Ver: 08.00.00
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 418MB used, 828MB available
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce4 MX 420
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 64.0 MB

If there anything else you need just let me know...
and be completely honest if it sucks then tell me

no its not that bad, but if you want to game, uh yea its not gonna do much

now if your comfortable telling me over this how much you are willing to spend i can start looking for possibilities, as well what are you going to be using this pc for? theres really no sense in upgrading any of that, you might as well start with a clean slate, just let me know and ill help you out as much as possible

ok since i had a dell... i called them and they said that this would work on my computer...all i wanna do is to be able to play this game called company of heroes... i installed it and it said that i dont meet the min requirements...this is what dell recomended http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=49972 i am stil not sure if the game will play if i get this... i dont care if it suck i just want the game to work.. so can someone please answer this for me.. thanks

Your computer should be good enough, although that RAM could be holding you back, consider an upgrade to 1GB. That video card as well, is not doing you justice..

You have a 64MB MX 420, the game recommends a 64MB at least. That combined with your RAM, that's your problem. A better video card and more RAM would help you here, min. specs are as follows:

-Windows® XP or Vista

-2.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV or equivalent or AMD Athlon XP or equivalent

-512 MB RAM

-1.7 GB of uncompressed free hard drive space (We recommend having 1 gigabyte of free space after installation)

-DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support or equivalent and latest manufacturer drivers

-DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card

-Keyboard, Mouse

Taken from http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/pagetools/pagetools.php?act=printnews&id=84975

Also, what settings were you trying to run the game on? Maybe if you ran it on very low settings, you may get some gameplay out of it..

bullzi said:
alrighty, lets do this, click start>run> type dxdiag.exe now once this opens (if you never opened this up before it will ask you a yes or no question in a box, click yes dont read it its not important) anyway once this opens, it will have tabs at the top, tell me what it says on the system tab, and what it says on the video tab
With instructions this convincing, you could get someone to erase their system registry... :D

JP42356p - When/if you get another stick of RAM, make sure it's same size and type, don't buy just anything. Pretty sure with the Dimension 4500 you'll need PC2700. Here's a link to a stick that would work. Make sure all those numbers match up with the one you buy. 512MB DDR PC2700

Back
Top Bottom