Quad Core's first arrivals!

Re: Quad Core Arrival Estimation

Damn, and I thought my new Core Duo would be the latest thing out..looks like it wont last me long huh?

Kentsfield = 2 core 2 duos put together. It'll cost $999 in trays of 1000. So, if you want to pay the arm and the leg, go right ahead.

omg i wish intel and amd would give us time. Buyin a comp now would just be a waste of money... even making one, the best thing no wis going in the trash in about a year according to the predictions and i don't lik eit. i was sure hyper threading, their cpu speeds would last a long time, but well, maybe they won't. intel core 2 duo may have cpu speeds of 3.0 ghz soon enuff.

I forgot where I found the article at, but a new Core quad CPU is coming this spring or summer. If I find it, I'll post it here. But the new quad core will hit mainstream PC users and no longer just aimed at servers and workstations. which means if you have the money, you can get one in your system.

Quad core is out. Q6600 to be the first at Newegg, announced for $888.

Speaking of Quad Cores, their system bus is increasing:

Intel Plans to Speed-Up Desktop Quad-Core Chips' Bus.
Intel Readies Quad-Core Products with 1333MHz Processor System Bus

Category: CPU

by Anton Shilov

[ 04/13/2007 | 11:54 PM ]

Intel Corp. may be planning to once again speed-up its quad-core offering next quarter and introduce a chip with four processing engines with 1333MHz processor system bus (PSB), a rather unexpected, but a very logical move of the world's largest maker of x86 microprocessors.

Earlier it was reported that Intel plans to introduce dual-core Intel Core 2 Duo microprocessors with 1333MHz processor system bus in the third quarter of 2007, whereas the quad-core chips would still have to use 1066MHz PSB for some time. But according to a news-story at HKEPC web-site, the company now intends to release Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 microprocessor in Q3 2007. The new chip is projected to use code-named Clovertown design – two pieces of silicon on a single slice of substrate – operate at 3.0GHz and use 1333MHz processor system bus. The new chip is expected to cost $999.

The release of quad-core chip with 1333MHz bus will allow Intel to promote its new-generation enthusiast-class 3-series chipsets among users of high-end components. Current quad-core chips may function even on mainboards based on the Intel 975X chipset released more than a year ago, meaning that end-users do not need to upgrade their platforms when installing a brand-new processor. If Intel launches a new enthusiast-class chip with high-speed PSB, a platform upgrade will be needed, which will help Intel not only to increase high-end chipset sales, but to also popularize DDR3 memory, which will be supported by P3- and X38-series core-logic sets.

In the third quarter of the year Intel will also reduce pricing of its currently shipping Core 2 Quad Q6600 chip to $266 and will introduce Core 2 Quad Q6700 at $530 price-point.

n the third quarter of the year Intel will also reduce pricing of its currently shipping Core 2 Quad Q6600 chip to $266 and will introduce Core 2 Quad Q6700 at $530 price-point.

i might have to wait a little longer to build a new rigg =/ if quad core will be that cheep

I bet they will get cheaper. The trend shows otherwise. Intel and AMD's working on some sick ass multi core CPU that can hold like 80+ cores!!! It's ridiculous. There's got to be other alternatives to processing. I thought light was suppose to be involved by now. I don't know what's holding them back.......but that would revolutionize everything.

Back
Top Bottom