Please Help... I'm Going Deaf!!!

Conspirate

In Runtime
Hello all who remember me, it's been a long time. My computer, almost a year after I purchased it, has been running great with no issue at all, and looks like it will last me another year and a half without need to upgrade. That it, except for the unbearably loud noise of the computer itself. I leave it on 24/7 in my bedroom, and I guess I had gotten used to. But my girlfriend was over the other night and she could not relax without me turning it off. Now that I realize, the thing is pretty fucking loud. I'm not sure what the decibel level is, but I have to put my speakers at a somewhat significant level to make anything out. To listen to soft parts of an album, I need to increase the volume a rather large amount.

Which brings me to the great question of how to reduce my computer's noise. I understand that liquid cooling does the trick, but it would be nice to be able to do it without spending a significant sum of money.

Antec Fans (2)
I used to have two of these guys set up in the rear of my case, but I now only have one. They were on sale when I was building my computer, but I think they are just way too loud. That may not be it though, I can't really tell which fans are loud/which are soft.

Case + 1 Side Fan
This is my case,i'm using the psu it came with. Also, i'm using the side fan that came already in it. Suppousedly, both are considered silent from the box's description. It does not appear to be a very loud fan.

AMD X2 3800
Lastly, I am using the stock heatsink that came with my X2 3800. I can't tell how loud it is, but it dosent seem to be as loud as the rear fan(s).

And that just about wraps it up. I'm not an overclocker, in fact, I haven't even changed my RAM timings in BIOS yet to the advertised speed. I do want my computer to quiet, around the loudness of a Dell Dimension it that is possible. As of now, I have never once heard my hard drive spin and click, hear my GPU fan kick in, or really hear my disc drive spin.

I'm looking at fans online. Looks like the 20DBA are considered pretty quiet. Is this so?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999071
Just found these on newegg. Appear to be the quietest. Are these any good?

If anyone could offer me any reccomendations/pointers/advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm rather embarassed when I bring my rig over to LAN parties, although it does kick major ass, I can't make out my cellphone over it.

Science Bless

-Conspirate

If they are hooked up to the SYSTEM_FAN connectors on the motherboard, can you not just slow them down a little overnight...or alternatively, pick up a cheap switch that you can turn them off when they are not needed....

Matt

I'll have to check if that's how they were installed. Thanks.

I'm looking for a more permanent solution, as in, where I wont have to rely on a fan controller when it is not needed, if that is possible. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom