Please Help: Pent D, Pent 4, AMD 64?

eesotereh

In Runtime
I need this for audio processing/DAW work, working with plugins. Nothing else. No gaming, graphics or word processing. I use a multi-threaded audio program.

Which of these is the better pick in your opinions for my need? And whichever one is better, by how much? meaning, by what percentage roughly?

Pentium 4, (hyperTh) @ 3.2g, Springdale 865G.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4g, Newcastle VIA K8M800/K8N800

Pentium D 940 Dual Core 3.2g, P965 ($600, building it myself)

I understand their specs/advantages/disadvantages on paper, but in performance reality, how different are they?

i would say the pentium d, with audio processing i assume that you will have a couple if not a few slightly demanding programs open at the same time, for this you will definately want a dual core, you will notice a major difference if you are a single core owner just by using simple programs like internet explorer, and intel has very good reliability, hope this helped

u should definetly take P4 of ur list.. thats way old.. I'd go for a Dual core Intel.. I switched form a single core AMD 64 to my Intel core duo in my new laptop and man the difference is crazy when multi tasking..

I'd go with something dual core. If you're going to go intel, don't go with a pentium D. Go with an intel core 2 duo instead, they're only a slight bit more but they're overclockable, and they highly out perform the pentium D. The core 2 duo is the fastest processor out there now, if you're going to be doing heavy editing I'd go with that.

good stuff guys, thanks.

but which core 2 duo will give me about the same total price as the pentium D. as you saw, my total came to about 600 bucks. got the prices all from newegg. so with a core 2 duo, won't it be much more?

it's only 8 bucks more for the processor. If it's a socket 775 mobo that you had in there originally then you'll be able to put it in there, otherwise you'll need a new mobo. I highly reccommend the Core 2 duo though because they're way faster and you'll notice a nice speed gain.

well, i found an Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz for $220. good price? and that should go nicely with the p965 board. it goes slightly over my budget, but i suppose its worth it.

you guys gota understand too, for us single core morons, its very hard to except that core 2 duo @ 2.13 is going to be better than my pentium 4 @ 3.2g. but i understand theoretically that its true, but still lol

that's a good deal, all the core 2 duos are actually pretty affordable, at least in my opinion they are. It will definitely be way faster than your P4 at 3.2GHZ and it will run cooler which is a nice plus. I've heard of being able to run core 2 duo's without a heatsink on them if they aren't overclocked but I don't think I'd try that... They also blow the AMD-athlon FX away in benchmarks and the AMD-athlon FX is way faster than the P4 so you can imagine a core 2 duo vs. a pentium 4 :D

troy272, thats exactly what i was looking for! a comparison to a comparison. very sweeeeet.

one more ques here, what if i go with Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz for 190 bucks? the price is tempting me...

i went from a p4 dell to a core 2 duo e6400 2.13 p965 and the difference is extremely noticeable. opening programs is faster, multitasking is WAY better. defiantly recommend the combo.

Back
Top Bottom