Kinda dissipointing FPS

abland007

Baseband Member
I just built a decent comp and I was really hoping to get better video out of my machine. When playing games like Counter Strike Source I see my FPS dropping to pretty low numbers- maybe around 40 or so. Its usally at about 60. I used to have a 128mb agp video card that would get 100 fps solid at all times. Now my 512 ddr3 PCI_E card doesn't get as much FPS? Something about that doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions?

I updated drivers
installed direct x 9
have settings on medium

Pentium D 915
650 watt antec PSU
7950 gt oc video card
1 gig ddr2 533 ram
sata hard drives

well if it stops at 60 all the time then you could have vsync on, but I doubt that it's the problem since then it should be constantly at 60. But it's worth a try. You should find the vsync in the game options, or you can disable it for all programs from the nvidia control panel

mammikoura said:
well if it stops at 60 all the time then you could have vsync on, but I doubt that it's the problem since then it should be constantly at 60. But it's worth a try. You should find the vsync in the game options, or you can disable it for all programs from the nvidia control panel

Yea V- sync is off.

My buddy has a slower processor than me and a 7800 video card insteed of my 7950. And he still gets better fps than me. WTF? Also-does increasing your ram effect the proformance on my video card.

My video card is also very hot to the touch when playing a game-

you shouldent touch your vid card when playing games... but your situation sounds very strange. Never happened to me and i have the same card.

well ya... but it wont solve the problem you have now. I only have a gig and i have no problems in games including css/cs. I am not too sure what could be slowing your card down :S

as Zapdos said 1gb should be more than enough for css.. So ram isn't the problem here.
Maybe try some older drivers? And you did plug in the power cable into the vid card, right?

When i built me new machine and started playing cod2 i was getting fps around 40 as well, but then i re-did the mp_config and am getting fps around 125 constant.. some of the graphic setting might be some what low but its still amazing game play

I dont know what mp_config is. Anyone else have any suggestions. I was playing source last night and I was getting about 45 FPS with my 7950 gt! WTF

you may have a cooling problem, if its that hot too the touch, those things have a freakin huge fan dont they?? i would think with a 7950 you would get a constant fps of at least 100, idk wut the problem is, something somewhere is messed up, you may want to check the antiscopic (sp) filtering if thats up high i know that can bring it down a ton, im not really sure what that does to gameplay but i run my pc with it off, it makes a huge difference in fps

Back
Top Bottom