ooh external graphics card released :)

It's not released yet. It's only been unveiled at CES '07. Expect it to be out around Q2 '07. Pricing is unknown.

I always wondered why something like this hasn't been tried yet.

D-Lew said:
I always wondered why something like this hasn't been tried yet.

Not enough demand. Most people who buy notebooks actually use them because of their portability.

That's a good point, but the fact that a laptop has to essentially be built around a graphics card for decent (no, not 7300 decent, but new-game playable) graphics is troublesome. If there's enough demand for specialty companies to do that, don't you think an expansion slot would be the first thing to come to mind? That way it can be upgraded.

NVIDIA does have their MXM slot, where you can replace graphics chips, but it hasn't been as widespread yet.

Asus has a monopoly on their hands if htey are able to get a patent on this..

They'll have a monopoly on a very small niche market. Think about it...even if people could afford one of those, the majority of gamers do not game with notebooks. If you're going to game properly, a good 'ol desktop is needed. So while this is good for those who want some extra bang for their laptop but dont have the money to buy a full out system, most gamers (which I would assume is the market ASUS is aiming at) already have competent gaming rigs that are not notebooks.

Back
Top Bottom