Are these good specs for the price?

nine01n

Solid State Member
So I'm continuing my quest for my first desktop computer. I strolled into the computer store today, gave him a run-through of what I want and this is what he cooked up for me. Let me know if this seems like a good deal.

80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive 7200RPM - 8m 3yr
INT Wireless G Adapter PCI - 54 Mbps - 802.11b
Case Fan 80X80X25mm, 3-Pin, Sleeve
Windows XP Home w/SP3 Operating System
COMBO Samsung 16X DVD & 52X32X52 CDRW Beige w/SW
512MB DDR2 667 SuperTalent Covered Memory
AMD Sempron 2800+ CPU 64Bit AM2 Socket Box 3yr
ASRock MATX AM2 S940/GF6100/256VID/DDR2/AUD8/LAN
XPOWER Bk Case/Handle/400W/USB/MM/Side Window

the total price with sales tax came up to be $650

i told him i thought i needed 1GB of ram, but he told me it was best to go with the 512 for now and later on when 1/2 GB is cheaper to upgrade. he told me that this was not a cheap computer and had pretty good parts, but not too expensive. he said if i wanted a cheaper one he could build one for about 400. i think this seems like a good deal, but i dont know anything about processors or motherboards. let me know what you guys think

edit --
i found this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oryId=pcmcat103700050050&id=pcmprd64500050020 and it definatly seems to be a better buy other than the fact that it is only a one year warranty. i realize you guys do not like prebuilt computers..but heres the difference. the custom built one has a amd sempron 2800, this one has a amd athlon 3800 x2..im not sure which is better maybe you could let me know. the prebuilt one will have 200gigs, the custom one will only have 80. the custom one will have 512ddr2 ram, the prebuilt one will have 1gig ddr2 ram. sounds to me like its prebuilt for the win. however i would have to install a wireless card onto the prebuilt one, but that cant be more than 40$ can it? also you cant beat the fact that it includes a free flat screen 15' moniter and printer...so let me know what you guys think about getting the prebuilt one instead. what are the disadvantages of buying it prebuilt? is the prebuilt one as upgradeable? for example in a few months i decide i want an intel processor instead, can that be easily changed?

nine01n said:
So I'm continuing my quest for my first desktop computer. I strolled into the computer store today, gave him a run-through of what I want and this is what he cooked up for me. Let me know if this seems like a good deal.

80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive 7200RPM - 8m 3yr
INT Wireless G Adapter PCI - 54 Mbps - 802.11b
Case Fan 80X80X25mm, 3-Pin, Sleeve
Windows XP Home w/SP3 Operating System
COMBO Samsung 16X DVD & 52X32X52 CDRW Beige w/SW
512MB DDR2 667 SuperTalent Covered Memory
AMD Sempron 2800+ CPU 64Bit AM2 Socket Box 3yr
ASRock MATX AM2 S940/GF6100/256VID/DDR2/AUD8/LAN
XPOWER Bk Case/Handle/400W/USB/MM/Side Window

the total price with sales tax came up to be $650

i told him i thought i needed 1GB of ram, but he told me it was best to go with the 512 for now and later on when 1/2 GB is cheaper to upgrade. he told me that this was not a cheap computer and had pretty good parts, but not too expensive. he said if i wanted a cheaper one he could build one for about 400. i think this seems like a good deal, but i dont know anything about processors or motherboards. let me know what you guys think

i personally dont like it...

I got my PC for like $760 from circuit city...check it out...
320GB HD, 2GB RAM, AMD 4600+ X2, DVD Burner, Speakers, Wireless KB/M

i dont think its that great a deal...

80GB HD should be bigger
Better processor
1gb Ram
802.11G atleast (hold on it says 54Mb/s transer but B is 11mb/s)?????

just my opinion

if your gonna try to do any gaming, you might have some issues with that sempron cpu.. and try and double your ram. 650 seems about right for what your getting though. It may seem a little scary but go to www.newegg.com and pick a motherboard.. read the specs and build from there.. you'll be able to find out what type of cpu/ram and everything you should need.. and it will be cheaper/more knowledgeable(sp?) if you build it your self.

well, i told him i wasnt building a gaming computer because im not. i told him the only game i would be running would be world of warcraft. he also told me all of the stuff was upgradable so i can start out with a machine like that and build on. also you have to figure in the warrantys i get with him. the other place i would try might be www.cyberpowerpc.com ..they seem to be pretty good to me

try newegg.com

you can get a free Ultra case from Slickdeal.net its from a couple days ago...
build one...you will end up happier I bet...I wish I built mine!

If you want to stick with AMD go with something like this.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/sp2.asp?v=d

That would include:
160gb 7200rpm sata HD with 8mb Cache
AMD Athlon 64 3800HT series
512mb PC6400 ram 800Mhz
Default case has a 420wt PSU and all the fans
DVD-RW drive 16x
Videocard NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS Graphics with TurboCache supporting 256MB 16X PCI Express VIDEO CARD

Comming in at a price of $545 Although you would have to buy a OS which XP home running around $89.99 So that would come to $635 The only thing you'd be missing would be a wireless adapter but this PC would include faster ram, A faster processor, twice the HD space, and most likely a much better video card than the one your buying.

Back
Top Bottom