CPU Overheating v. Fan Directions

Incipient

Solid State Member
i have posted a previous thread about my cpu overheating, and everyone was more then helpfull, and in the end it was my fans that were facing the wrong way, which caused overheating.

this solved my problem somewhat, however my cpu still overheats for some programs i have (pc-cillin and newer games)

i cant see any other problem, other then the air flow situation.

as outlined before, the room is at about 25deg and the tower is in the open. the fans are cleaned, and the cpu has a SMALL blob of arctic silver on it. i am running a single core HT, so the blob is in the middle of the cpu plate.

air_flow.jpeg

there are two differant orientations that i have tried, indicated by I and II on the pic. either way, no differance has been made on the temp.

also, the 4 fan is a case fan thats infront of the mobo(yellow rectangle), not on it.

if anyone has any idea as to how i could improve my airflow, that would be great.

thanks for your time,
Inci

Incipient said:
i have posted a previous thread about my cpu overheating, and everyone was more then helpfull, and in the end it was my fans that were facing the wrong way, which caused overheating.

this solved my problem somewhat, however my cpu still overheats for some programs i have (pc-cillin and newer games)

i cant see any other problem, other then the air flow situation.

as outlined before, the room is at about 25deg and the tower is in the open. the fans are cleaned, and the cpu has a SMALL blob of arctic silver on it. i am running a single core HT, so the blob is in the middle of the cpu plate.

air_flow.jpeg

there are two differant orientations that i have tried, indicated by I and II on the pic. either way, no differance has been made on the temp.

also, the 4 fan is a case fan thats infront of the mobo(yellow rectangle), not on it.

if anyone has any idea as to how i could improve my airflow, that would be great.

thanks for your time,
Inci
Pretty confusing photo,You are telling me all the 1 in blue are fans,??Whats the one on the top by the drives a fan to,Its going in and out.??I can see by many here,They dont under stand Air flow.

ya not overclocking are you .
also has the x800 cooler got a cooling fan or other form of cooling on it .
ps what are tehe exact cpu temps , look it up in here then http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=39635

I cant realy comment on that cooling as that is not my strong point but that looks ok to me but what speeds are the fans at

i understand the pic just fine,

I think its nicely put together.

I do have some suggestions for you.

1. Pick the Processor Die that resembles yours the most and follow the instructions of applying artic silver

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelcmq.html

2. Make sure your fans are blowing enough air, put your hand in there, check to feel the air movement. You may need to go to www.newegg.com and pick up some fans that can BLOW harder :D

3. add some additional fans, I have used Zip Ties through the screw holes of system fans and then mounted them underneath my CD Rom Drives (on the bottom of the 5.25 Drive bays- that will blow air directly across the CPU

you can also usually find a spot to mount another one to blow across say the Videocard (GPU)

here is a pic for you (LOOK AT FAN A AND FAN B, that is what i am talking about)

airflowty7.jpg

u cna have as many fans as u want but in the end if u dont have enough vents on your case the hot air isnt going to go any wair
try 1 getting a new case or to cut a hole a little smaller then a case fan and mount the case fan up to the hole to blow the air out
make sure your fan isnt backwards

esa193 said:
u cna have as many fans as u want but in the end if u dont have enough vents on your case the hot air isnt going to go any wair
try 1 getting a new case or to cut a hole a little smaller then a case fan and mount the case fan up to the hole to blow the air out
make sure your fan isnt backwards

He has 3 fans sucking air out the back of the case

wow people, awsome help, many thanks...

in repsonse to PB : i did make a mistake there, all the blue fans are infact NOT PSU's. they are 80mm fans (only the large blue square is a PSU fan)

muz379 : im not overclocking, i cant. the temps get too high in IDLE and the cpu resets(ie. over 75 i assume). also the load temps are slightly over 70deg(71-74). also the fans are running at full bore. ohh and yer, the x800 has its fan aswell.

LambOfGod : thanks for the arctic silver pic, i got that right after my first rather large screw up with that. there is a general flow of air through the computer, so i think that those middle fans might help a lot with that, ill give it a shot :). (bahh sif grafiti my perfect picture lol :p)

esa193 : and yes, there is space for the air to get in and out, they are all placed on vents. so there is flow in and out, the hdd fan might be a little blocked, so ill look at that, cheers :)

new note : thanks everyone, ill give all those ideas a shot and see how much they help. just a final thing, other then the air flow, is there anything that people can think of that might be cooking my cpu?

thanks again guys, very helpfull.

have fun,
Inci

1. Dust, but i think you have that taken care of.

this is BAD

dusty_pc_2.jpg

2. Cables ie. Parallel, Power, ect.. they can block airflow, make sure you take time and run the cables inside you case as cleanly as possible.

Bad

PC-rats-nest2sml.jpg

Here are some pic of Better cableing jobs

CleanWiring.jpg

Wiring7.jpg

Wire looms can help for a nice clean look

P4260025.jpg

muz379 : yer, im thinking about getting one of them if worst comes to worst lol, they are just hard to find in my area(its easier if i get them in my city, no shipping etc that way)

LambOfGod : you are correct, i have very little dust, i keep my comp as clean as possible. my cable situation isnt perfect, however not as bad as the one you showed. ill try to fix it all up and see if that helps. also, i have the same case as the 2nd last pic you posted :p the antec one.

cheers for all your help pplz,
Inci

Back
Top Bottom