Electronics in American homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookfield

Golden Master
A report on British TV said that on average American homes have, on average 26 electronic devices, climbing to an average of 40, if there were children, & that they use, again on average 10 times the amount of energy that we do over here, not because they have more devices than we do, but due to the fact they are more wastful, leaving things like TV & computer on all day, using washing machines for just one or two items, instead of full loads, & not selecting "economy", so have a look round guys, & be sneaky if you can or want to, what amount of $$$'s does it all cost?, of course if you think this is too intrusive please don't spill the beans!!
nono.gif

It's not just Americans.. our house consists of..

(Kitchen)
TV, Radio, Microwave, kettle, Hi-Fi controller, Hi-Fi, washing machine, fridge/freezer, coffee machine.

(Lounge)
Hi-Fi, 32" Plasma, Surround sound set, 6 lamps, HTPC, DVD recorder, VHS player, sky box, freeview box, playstation, gamecube.

(Computer/Dining room)
2X Computers, one laptop, one server, 4 monitors, TV, freeview box, dvd player, Hi-Fi, few lamps,

(Parents room)
Computer, TV, dvd player, freeview box, few lamps, coffee machine, mini fridge.

(My room)
2X Laptops, TV, playstation, freeview, lamps, DVD player, VCR., Hi-Fi

(Brother's room)
Computer, monitor, Hi-Fi, playstation, DVD player, freeview box, gamecube, lamps.

Now, that's not all the rooms in the house, yet I count 60+ devices there, and I have many friends with similar setups. Electric bills arent that much per month!

I live on my own & I just have the following;

3 TV's, computer, printer & scanner, Sky digibox, VCR, photocopier/phone/fax machine, PS2, 2 radios, 1 three bar electric fire, 2 oil filled radiators, 2 convector heaters, 2 fan heaters, halogen heater, cooker, washing machine, toaster, kettle, fridge-freezer, several clocks, 1 standard lamp, 7 other lamps, blimey, I've got more than I thought, & all for around £50 - £60 a month.

Do you have a solid source?

To be honest, I could care less about what others do. I myself always turn off the television, computer, and other things when not needed. I've taken the liberty to use power saving bulbs, using the fan instead of the AC, bought power saving electronics and other things all usually at a higher price then normal items on shelf. As long as I know I'M doing my part, I'm fine with it.

Jon F said:
Do you have a solid source?
If you mean solid fuel, yes, but I only use it when the electricity fails, & I'm not able to carry it through to the fireplace very well these days, but I'm thinking of getting a Calor gas heater.

Brookfield said:
A report on British TV said that on average American homes have, on average 26 electronic devices, climbing to an average of 40, if there were children, & that they use, again on average 10 times the amount of energy that we do over here, not because they have more devices than we do, but due to the fact they are more wastful, leaving things like TV & computer on all day, using washing machines for just one or two items, instead of full loads, & not selecting "economy", so have a look round guys, & be sneaky if you can or want to, what amount of $$$'s does it all cost?, of course if you think this is too intrusive please don't spill the beans!!
nono.gif

I'd say this is entirely true for the US / Canada

Personally I turn computers off when I dont use them and only do full loads of laundry :)

In my apt i have a 2 TV's, DVD player, Laptop, PS2, VCR, Toaster, George Forman, Kettle, and probaby more stuff. Plus heat and lights.. i payed $169.00 CDN for 2 months on my last bill

I think it means devices that are on, since you said that it's devices that are left on when concerning children...

I try to be fairly good about turning things off (like unused lights). but we have. (always on, or at least on standby).
2 TV's, DVD player, VCR, Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 (all left on for game point preservation). microwave. but there are also things like electric toothbrush chargers. phone chargers (that are always plugged in ready), camera battery chargers etc...

computers aren't always on, but when they are you can add another couple of computers/monitors to the mix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom