Linux Because I want to Learn

kjman87

Daemon Poster
Ok so heres the deal...I just recently got my Desktop and I really like it and it is now my primary computer...and I DO have a decent laptop..

I want to mess around with and learn linux on my laptop....
So here is what I am asking
1: Type of linux, Redhad, Mepis, Ubunto whatever
2: why that type? also where to DL or order the CDS (prefer DL cause its free lol)
3: and hopefully enough info from either you or a read me to get it installed(though its not that hard ive dual booted with both mepis and ubantu with XP on it before but wiped it cause i didnt feel like figureing it out at the time) and to get me back online on that linux

4: anything else that would be informative

TIA

-KJ

you can try linux without installin , there are many variations called live cd'd like slax linux is a good cd i have to mind , just thought you might wanna know so you can still keep windows installed and run slax from a cd or pendrive , if you run it from a pendrive then it saves your settings

yeah I did that with Mepis but It really doesnt matter honestly my laptop is for nothing but playing HL on when I am at work doing some testing and watching movies so it really doesnt matter if I wipe it...or I could just make a second partition and install the Linux on there and Dual boot...
but thanks~!!!

Just figured I would put up the specs of the laptop.

P4 I think its a 2.8GHz
512 Ram
64MB Vid
40 or 60GB hd lol forget that too

ummm thats about it i think...its got wireless card built in, will any of those linuxs' support wireless?

i think kubuntu does but it dosent support all wireless cards so see if you can get drivers from manufacturers website

I'd recommend ubuntu or kubuntu.
And both are easy to install, (and you said that you had ubuntu before) so installing shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom