Battling a freezing problem

Bmo

Solid State Member
Ok, I have a computer which I purchased from v2premier.com about 2 years ago. The specs: Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 512ram, 80gb hd. After dealing with months of constant freezes, I have finally sat down and decided to battle my virus/trojan/adware/spyware problems.

Here is what I have done so far to try and fight. First I put Spybot S&D/Ad-Aware SE/Hijackthis on a flash drive and placed them on the computer. I then ran Hijackthis and removed all the bad processes using hijackthis.de. After that I ran Ad-Aware and removed some 160 things. After that I attempted to run Spybot S&D. While running it, it first found FunWebProducts (Which I'm fairly sure I have removed using other means), and then froze in mid-scan. I got pissed so I went oldschool and restarted and downloaded Windows Defender. Using Software Explorers, I removed some 7 or 8 startup programs which were obviously virus/useless then ran windows defender. On the first scan, it froze and I restarted. On the second scan it froze and I restarted. On the third, it completed the scan and removed one file. I then tried to run Spybot S&D and the program froze somewhere through the scan. This whole time, I had been getting warnings from AntiVir about a trojan found in a .class file in documents and settings. Every time I received the warning, I would delete the found file. I found the file several times after this. I then downloaded vchecker.exe and ran it. While it was named vchecker.exe, it would be automatically closed so I made it so4meth8ing.exe (just random name) and it would scan for a while then freeze. I then downloaded AVG Free and tried to scan the computer. It froze.

The computer freezing is the problem I'm trying to diagnose. It freezes during startup/scans/loading. Yet while I do simple things like post this topic, it will not freeze. After I post this, I am going to try AVG Free scan again but this time not in safe mode to see what's up. If anyone has any idea or suggestion or need of further info, please tell me.
-Thanks!

I just tried and every one (excluding Ad-Aware and Hijackthis) caused the computer to freeze.

I am curious, why ya waited 2 yrs to deal with this? You really should be doing this weekly. Have ya tried running chkdsk /r from the command prompt, could be HDD errors causing the problems.

dude my advice get all important info onto dvd etc then reformat , then install avg free and a firewall

I'd do as muz379 said... But if you really can't afford to do that... try a system restore to before the problems started or run the following programs... If you can get them...

Spy Sweeper
Spyware Doctor
A number of different AV's (each will pick up different things). I recommend Nod32, Avira, and Kaspersky.
TuneUp Utilities 2007... this is more of an optimisation program but it will fix you registry and check your HDD for errors. Also it can shred files that normally cannot be deleted and you can choose which processes will run during windows start up (that's just a few things it can do).

Hope that helps... it's a start anyway.

Back
Top Bottom