Buying my first desktop, help please.

My 'family' computer has a wireless router on it. I need this computer to be able to use this wireless signal to get on the internet. Can this computer do that?

nine01n said:
Also - how would http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/sp2.asp?v=d compare with my original choice? It is cheaper, but that adds 100$ more for me since my purchase was going to include a $100 Best Buy gift card. I would purchase that with no add ons.. so check out the specs and please let me know what you think.

that's a nice PC. You could use the 100 dollars to buy a wireless card so you can use the wireless network in your home.

may i ask why you keep choosing compuers with AMDs? right now Intel is killin the X2's with its core 2. they are a little more expensive that the amd's, but the performance boost is worth the extra money in my oppion.

AMDs are what I was recommended. I really have no idea if Intels are better. There is a computer store 1 mile from me who can custom build computers for 300-400 dollars. I dont want to seem like I dont know what I am talking about when I go into the store because I do not want to get ripped off. What should I tell him I'm looking for?

not sure, cuz i dont really remember waht you said you wanted it for. but according to all the bench marks i have seen, the core 2 is performing better overall.

however, its just a recomandation, don't feel obligated to get it.

nine01n said:
I am only 15 years old, I would much rather buy one already built. So no, I would not be interested in building one myself. Thanks for the suggestion though; it is just not for me.

Trust me, you should look into it, you would save alot of money, and get a much better computer than a pre built one for your budget. It's easy acutally, i was intimidated when i was gonna build my computer (Around December last year), but when i acutally started building it was fun and easy, but i did go through a few problems, nothing too big, thanks to this forum, and mind you am only 13.

nine01n said:
AMDs are what I was recommended. I really have no idea if Intels are better. There is a computer store 1 mile from me who can custom build computers for 300-400 dollars. I dont want to seem like I dont know what I am talking about when I go into the store because I do not want to get ripped off. What should I tell him I'm looking for?

AMD's used to be good, but now Core2's from Intel, are the best CPU's out right now for the price.

Doesn't look like he's into hardcore gaming. I say go with AMD, they get the job done for less. If you want to fork up some extra dough for an intel, then by all means do it, but my system runs fine on AMD, and despite what others will tell you, it multi tasks great. Sure, my benchmarks aren't as good as some other systems, but it doesn't look like you'll be worrying about benchmarks, either. Even my brother's single core 4000+ AMD multi tasks great, it even runs superpi's faster than mine. But it's up to you. I built an AMD pc because it saved me a bunch of money since the Core 2's were pretty new at the time and there was limited board selection for a reasonable price.

do you need a monitor and everything else or do you have access to one you can use for your own setup...

in other words do you just need the COMPUTER(tower)?

if you just need Tower, KB, Mouse:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103700050049&id=1155848825300
similar to MY desktop, and i like mine

if you need it all the HP doesnt sound bad...

i mean if you can afford this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oryId=pcmcat103700050050&id=pcmprd66000050002
its got everything
but I am slightly biased towards Gateway as of right now just cause its the best comp ive used to date...

Back
Top Bottom