the future of hard disk storage

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
ok everyone know that there used to be cds only then the dvd came out and now the blue ray, well from what i read in a cpu magazine. they are coming out with a new kind that holds up to 5Tb of space. they have been studying this at harvard. its called the laser nanoantenna think of having a blue ray disk that can hold up to 25 GB of space then we all of the sudden jump up to 5000GB(5Tb) we have gotten far in out technological advances.

I've also hear solid state storage too, kind of like RAM technology to store gigs of information. Very, very costly though. But super fast. Lol, we have that now with portable flash drives...It's a start.

yeah, when i read about this i was thinking that its awsome but whos really going to need that much, how much is the burner/copier going to cost, and how is one of the disks going to cost. its true that were advancing in technology but its cost so much to keep up with it that is outragous

One 5tb disk would cost more then 100$ probably. And if someone could somehow find a way to fill it all up one scratch and they just lost a crap load of data. Also...the writing speeds will probably only be like x6 or somthing..so it would take days to fill it all up.

Ya thats impractical, anyone with that much data wouldn't want to back it up onto a disk that might get a scratch on it then would be screwed...just like Crabby said...

The future for mobile computing in terms of storage is solid state. No moving components, super fast seek and write times and it takes more to destroy it than a normal hard drive.

when the faster writing speeds come in it could be used as an alternative to tape backup on servers etc

i'm all for the technology in making the storage on disks outrageously huge, but like other's said..if they havent figured out a way to make sure you don't end up with a coaster, then buying into that technology would be useless.

i want to be 100 % certain that the burn proof technology is right up there with the very large capacity tech.i really don't want to transfer hundreds of thousands of files onto the disc, only to have the errors on it.;)

^^^ that would be very annoying spending $100+ on a disk and spending 2-4 days burning only to find errors

Back
Top Bottom