Buying my first desktop, help please.

nine01n

Solid State Member
I want to buy my first desktop computer. I know a good amount about OPERATING computers, but not so much about the actual hardware. I do not have much money, so please do not even both recommending something expensive. As of now I have about $400 + $100 Best Buy gift card. My birthday is in two weeks so I can expect to have $600-$700. That is my price range. I'll give you an idea of things I will be using this for and what I want it to be able to do..

Some applications and programs:
-Adobe Photoshop 7
-AOL Instant Messenger
-Internet Explorer
-Mozilla Firefox
-I-Tunes
-Limewire
-Various Microsoft applications (word, powerpoint, etc.)
-Bittorrent
-Audacity
-World of Warcraft
-Room for any other software I may want, but nothing major. (tabit)

I want to be able to run various programs and applications without it freezing. For example I want to be doing my homework on Microsoft Word, listening to music on iTunes, and talking with my friends on AIM all at the same time without it freezing. I am not a PC Gamer. I play my Xbox 360. The only game I would really play would be World of Warcraft, although I may play the occasional game, but nothing at all over the top. (Counter-Strike, Age of Empires) So there is really no need for you to recommend a gaming computer.
I definitely want a good, reliable computer that will not freeze on me and will be able to handle any applications or programs I want to add to it. I am a big music guy, so I will be editing music, burning CDs..things in that area. The main reason I want my own computer is to keep it clean, organized, and personalized. Sharing a computer is just becoming a hassle.

The computer I was looking at getting was the HP Pavilion a1600n. These are the specs. -

* AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+ for increased multitasking performance; improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection; Cool'n'Quietâ„¢ Technology to minimize heat and noise
* 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; DVD-RAM support; also supports LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media

EDIT- I left out something very important..I need to be able to get internet on my computer using a wireless router. The place I would intend to put it does not have a cable plug..it would be much easier for me if I could connect to the wireless router that is already in place in my home.

Would this be a good computer for what I need? Have any recommendations or tips?

Thanks! :D

well the 1st and most important question.
Would you be interested in building a computer yourself? If so then we can help you choose the right hardware. Building your own one is something that I'm going to recommed to everyone, you get just the parts you want, you get a cheaper computer (with the same performance), your hdd is not going to be full of crap when you get it and building a computer is a fun and rewarding experience. So think about it. And no, it's really not that hard. :D I built my 1st one when I was maybe 13, and I've built a few ones after that.

To me the HP Pavilion a1600n doesn't really seem like something I'd spend $500+ on.

edit: ahh, finally found it!

LambOfGod said:

(btw, I'm bookmarking the page where you posted that to :D)

Thats just to give you an idea of a computer you could build.
Though since you have a little higher budget you could change the hdd to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145128
And maybe get an atx mobo instead of an micro ATX one.
And changing the cpu to the x2 3800+ would cost $75 more.

But I thats just to give you an idea of what kind of a computer you could build.

I am only 15 years old, I would much rather buy one already built. So no, I would not be interested in building one myself. Thanks for the suggestion though; it is just not for me.

mammikoura said:
To me the HP Pavilion a1600n doesn't really seem like something I'd spend $500+ on.

Would you care to recommend something better?

TRDCorolla said:
I feel those specs are ok for what you do.

yeah the specs are fine, but then again it's like $600.
And $600 (at least to me) feel like a lot to pay for a machine with a decent dual core cpu, 1gb of ram and an integrated vid card.

This thread interests me because I am currently looking into buying a high-end PC when Vista comes out. I was originally looking at an Alienware, but the case is too big for my desk and I really don't feel like replacing the case on a brand new computer. So, I've been looking at some Dells. Right now, my basic requirements are: around 2.4 Ghz, 2 GBs RAM, 256MB Graphics Card, a DVD+-RW drive (speed doesn't matter) and at least 250GB storage. I found some nice Dells that meet those, but I am still looking around.

Any suggestions?

robothouse said:
This thread interests me because I am currently looking into buying a high-end PC when Vista comes out. I was originally looking at an Alienware, but the case is too big for my desk and I really don't feel like replacing the case on a brand new computer. So, I've been looking at some Dells. Right now, my basic requirements are: around 2.4 Ghz, 2 GBs RAM, 256MB Graphics Card, a DVD+-RW drive (speed doesn't matter) and at least 250GB storage. I found some nice Dells that meet those, but I am still looking around.

Any suggestions?

Personally I wouldn't get dell. I have one and my experience has been so-so. Their support is awful and pretty much useless. I'd go with an HP or something you can really customize online such as: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/Default.asp That might be a better option because you don't get "bloatware" which is bloated software which slows your system down and most people don't use anyways, such as AOL, yahoo, mcafee, and all that junk. if you go through a place that lets you custom build a machine then you don't get that.

EDIT:
nine01n I think that PC should be more than plenty for what you want to do, that machine looks good to me!

robothouse said:

Any suggestions?

Well the dell xps 410 seems to be decent. Though I think they want to stick the ageia physics card in those, which at least to me seems like money totally wasted. Alienware is good, but it's just way too expensive.
And http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ looks pretty good, and I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.

nine01n: actually after looking at the other computers in the same price range that HP Pavilion a1600n doesn't look so bad, I guess I was just used to the price/performance ratio you get with custom computers. (I try my best to stay away from prebuilt computers :D)

Actually, I was just looking at the 210, not the 410. The 410 didn't really seem to have any advantages that I needed.

Back
Top Bottom