What?!?!?! 1TB hard drive is here!!

Wow, not! Don't know why your so enthusiastic about it - just means that when it fails you loose more data. You would be safer buying two readily available 500GB hard drives, if one failed - at least you would probably have half your data still there.

(You could put two 1TB in raid config I suppose)

Also, are we living in the past STILL! Whats with the 7,500RPM? IT SUCKS! Drive manufacturers shoud be focusing more on speed than capacities, why haven't they developed a 15,000RPM 1TB hard drive - they can do it so cheaply! The whole terrabyte idea isn't exactly new.

P.S The price is going to be around $400.

j.venning said:
Wow, not! Don't know why your so enthusiastic about it - just means that when it fails you loose more data.

YES! That is why I only have a 3gb hdd, so that when it will fail in 20 years I won't lose so much data. Or better yet, maybe I'll just throw it away and use my computer without a hdd! Then it can't fail so I won't lose any data!

j.venning said:
Also, are we living in the past STILL! Whats with the 7,500RPM? IT SUCKS! Drive manufacturers shoud be focusing more on speed than capacities, why haven't they developed a 15,000RPM 1TB hard drive - they can do it so cheaply!

And the 7200 rpm is too slow for what? Sure 15000 rpm would be faster, but do you really need the extra speed?

And the 7200 rpm is too slow for what? Sure 15000 rpm would be faster, but do you really need the extra speed?

Well yes really. If you put, say, a standard 10,000RPM Raptor in your build - you would probably notice a difference such as copying files etc and access times.

Considering that a majority of cheaper sub $1000 laptops have 4,200RPM or 5,400 drives and standard capacities of 120GB, if they doubled the size - couldn't they have 8,400RPM and 240GB easily?!

j.venning said:
Well yes really. If you put, say, a standard 10,000RPM Raptor in your build - you would probably notice a difference such as copying files etc and access times.

Considering that a majority of cheaper sub $1000 laptops have 4,200RPM or 5,400 drives and standard capacities of 120GB, if they doubled the size - couldn't they have 8,400RPM and 240GB easily?!
Actually, the differences in performance are really not that great. I remember seeing benchmarks for various things with a Raptor vs. some 7200 RPM drive, and the difference was only a few FPS (games) / seconds (encoding) / points (3DMark, etc). So if you want to save a few seconds when copying files, go for it, but for normal users, an extra couple hundred dollars is not going to be worth it.

Kind of off topic: And what's this about a new 360? Any official sources? I heard something about an HDMI port a while back...

yeah ive saw stuff about that but the way im thinking is whos going to need 1TB of hdd, i mean unless your a major music and video downloader.

freestyler105 said:
Actually, the differences in performance are really not that great. I remember seeing benchmarks for various things with a Raptor vs. some 7200 RPM drive, and the difference was only a few FPS (games) / seconds (encoding) / points (3DMark, etc). So if you want to save a few seconds when copying files, go for it, but for normal users, an extra couple hundred dollars is not going to be worth it.

true, it's not all about the speed the drive is spinning at. I think I even saw a test where hitachi deskstar (7200rpm) performed better (in most tests) than the 10000rpm raptor.

Example:

If you have a hosting company, what type of drives are you likely going to choose? If your drives have quicker access times, you can distribute the files and content held upon them to the end user quicker and more efficiently.

Trivium Nate said:
I want one so bad!!!!
id get an external one
omg this si amazingly awesome!!!!

You could always make your own external drive. It's not hard.

Back
Top Bottom