Whos getting Vista

im going to get it but it probably wont be until about june or july when ever i have all of the parts for my computer together, ill get it last so i know that its been out for a while and know that it should be working better

the sound works, just not very good for games. Or not at all for games. I installed WC3, sound worked, but when i tried online, after the patch, it didnt work at all.

Taylor said:
Taken from Maximum PC- cut and shortened to save me time. (Things in parenthesis are my input)
The whole thing is basically saying wait to buy vista
1- Vista Requires a fairly powerful machine
2- Application Imcompatibilities
3- Vista is crazy expensive
4- No hardware audio- in other words they removed a couple crucial gaming audio related features from vista including directsound 3D, which hundreds of games use to deliver positional 5.1 audio. (i was actually running vista beta and sound for warcraft3 wasnt working so that explained it.)
5- Vista doesnt work with a lot of bleeding edge hardware. bios wont work, nor usb high speed mic
6- Vista doesnt work well with some games. it metions a thing called Punkbuster that limits cheating, and it doensnt work, b/c it needs admin access and neither the game or system will tell you.
7-Vista includes consumer unfriendly DRM. Talks about how vista doesnt support cable card (which allows users to access high def content from their cable or satellite providers, without being tied to the device supplied by the tv provider. The fundamental probelm is that for certain key low level operations, such as video rendering, vista has been designed to give third parties- the content providers- veto rights over crucial aspects of your system.
8- Poor Driver support. ATI and nVidia should have drivers ready by launch, but expect really big problems with hardware. Mice and keyboards will work, but programs to change preferences like sensitivity wont be working, and wont be out for a while. if vista follows the same timeline as xp, drivers will be scarce for the first 2 months while vendors slowly certify their products to run the new OS. (I liked how i didnt have to install any drivers though when i installed beta)
9- Vista is kind of annoying. Its always asking you if its ok to install things. (and even on beta, every time i ran firefox it asked me if it was ok. and i know this will probably be fixed, but when i clicked firefox, then say clicked back onto itunes to change the song, the notification thing went away, and i had to go into task manager to close it. Making me re-click firefox.)
10- You can wait.
really more of a conclusion rather than a reason. but it just says the only people that should be getting vista are people with DXX cards, and people awaiting their Crysis preorders. It only helps to wait.

Dont get me wrong here, if your convinced never to buy vista, I actually really enjoyed vista beta, the small problems i had i thought would be fixed when vista was released. I especially liked the chess, and the looks of the OS.

Not trying to start an argument, but a debate -
1 - For the max settings, yeah, but it still wouldn't even be that expensive, maybe $500.

2 - You got me there, but that will change soon after the official release in many cases.

3 - Yeah, you got me again. Then again, a lot of us have other ways of acquiring it.

4 - Never heard anything about this, so I won't say anything.

5 - Again, I never heard anything about this, but I'm sure it will be fixed ASAP in any case.

6 - Uh, well, I'm not exactly a huge fan of PunkBuster, so I'm not even gonna get started on that, but it's supposed to be fixed soon and why are you playing intense games on a prerelease OS anyway?

7 - Yeah, that pretty much blows.

8 - Well, Microsoft will have it's drivers out for it's own OS (I'd assume), but Razer doesn't have anything out yet AFAIK

9 - Yeah, but you can disable all that.

ill be picking up vista when i build my new comp in a couple weeks
and im pritty sure vista only suports 64bit

esa193 said:
ill be picking up vista when i build my new comp in a couple weeks
and im pritty sure vista only suports 64bit
Vista supports 32 bit aswell

freestyler105 said:
Not trying to start an argument, but a debate -

6 - Uh, well, I'm not exactly a huge fan of PunkBuster, so I'm not even gonna get started on that, but it's supposed to be fixed soon and why are you playing intense games on a prerelease OS anyway?

Doesn't really matter if you like punkbuster or if you don't. There are a lot of games using it, and if it doesn't work with vista (yet!) it's gonna be really bad since almost all good servers have anti-cheat technology enabled. So if punkbuster doesn't work you can't join all the servers, and the servers you can join are a lot more likely to have hackers (because there is NOTHING (except admins, who clearly can't always be there) to stop them.

Back
Top Bottom