AMD Quad FX Hits Retail

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
The ASUS L1N64-SLI WSAMD's premium chips hit ... with a price premium, too!

The Tech Report reports AMD Quad FX processors and accompanying motherboard are available in retail. All is not well for AMD's Quad FX platform, though. While the Athlon 64 FX-70 series and ASUS L1N64-SLI WS are available, there's a steep price premium on processors and the required motherboard.

There are only two retailers that carry the necessary Quad FX products: Newegg and ZipZoomFly. AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 series processors of all speed grades are available from Newegg while ZipZoomFly only has the Athlon 64 FX-70 in stock.

Obtaining the required ASUS L1N64-SLI WS is a challenge as neither retailer has it in stock. Pricing of the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS is $429.99 and $379.99 from Newegg and ZipZoomFly respectively, $30-80 higher than the expected $349.99 MSRP.

Go NEWEGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevertheless, AMD Quad FX parts are indeed available in retail. Expect to pay a $129-181 premium to have AMD's power flagship.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5562

i reas reviews and saw beanch marks
intels quad core r killing amds
poor design never should u have 2 cpus on one mother bord just is ganna creat so many problems
just a cheep way for amd to make money
bench marks r sad
intels core2s r sometimes beating the amd quad

AMD is just trying to match Intel at the moment, but they have something better coming out soon. I'll keep an eye on that and post whenever I see something. I would much get the quad core Intel too. The AMD version just cost too much....

not only is intel cheaper the dual core version beats amds quad in sum
and pluse 2 prossesors one one mother bord is retarted

Get this....New Intel Quad core are cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Intel's Quad-Core Chips Set to Be More Affordable.
Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600 to Cost $531, Less Expensive Quad-Core Enroute
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070104212549.html

In order to further solidify its positions of the market of high-performance microprocessors and popularize quad-core chips, Intel Corp. will sell its highly-anticipated central processing units (CPUs) with four processing engines at significantly lower price-points than it so far has been expected.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor, which is expected to be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in several days, will cost $531 in 1000-unit quantities, not $850 as previously anticipated, several media reports claim. Its price point will make the quad-core processor just $1 more expensive compared to the current price of Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 chip, which has a bit higher clock-speed.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 chip is expected to run at 2.40GHz, come with 8MB L2 cache and use 1066MHz processor system bus (PSB). The Core 2 Duo E6700 processor operates at 2.66GHz, contains 4MB of unified level-two cache and uses 1066MHz PSB. While the Core 2 Duo 6700 operates at higher clock-speed and will be slightly faster in applications that take advantage of two cores (or rely on one core only), the Core 2 Quad Q6600 is likely to be more efficient in future applications.

In fact, the price-point and similarity of specifications are likely to catalyze more computer makers and end-users to choose the CPU with four cores instead of a chip with two cores, which will further encourage software makers to tweak their software for multi-core processors.

In addition to price reduction of the Core 2 Quad Q6600, Intel will also release another quad-core product based on code-named Kentsfield design in Q3 2007. The chip which is expected to be called Core 2 Quad Q6400 is likely to operate at the speed of 2.13GHz, accommodate 8MB of L2 cache in total and use 1066MHz PSB. The chip will be fit into more mainstream price-points.

Still, the popularization of quad-core chips does not mean that Intel will cease to improve its dual-core microprocessors. Intel is projected to release Intel Core 2 Duo processors with E6850, E6750 and E6650 model numbers with 3.0GHz, 2.66GHz and 2.33GHz clock-speeds respectively and 1333MHz processor system bus in Q3 2007, when appropriate code-named Bearlake-series chipsets become available. The new chips will support TXT technology.

QuadFX is still a gimmicky niche product. If you want something good from AMD wait a while until the come out with a new microarchitecture.

sorry typo ment chips
i cant wait tho
qaud 6600 with 2 gigs of ram and an 8800 gtx with a nvidia 680i mother bord
my system is ganan be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom