Whos getting Vista

Toby said:
I'll get Vista when most of the bugs are gone... And no it's not the way all of you are thinking of... ;)
You are going to download it? Cause it seems thats how I get all my programs.

I have the RC1, but never installed it. I hate the hassle of reformatting and reistalling everything. Plus school is in session already so I don't have the time to do that. I'll just wait to get the final version sometime this year. I'm getting rid of my laptop too. It's a slow piece of junk and I'm thinking of selling it for $100 even though I paid almost $900 for it.

I can get Vista Business for free through my Computer Science department.

Just haven't got it yet because the University haven't got any Product Keys off of M$ yet.

Yeah, I'm just gonna dual boot it with XP, and only use Vista for DirectX 10 until they work out more of the bugs. I'd wait, but DirectX 10 just looks too good!

Yeah thats the main reason I want it. DX10. I'm getting the 8600GT when it comes out if I can afford it.

the way I see it. It cant be that baddly bugged. even if it is, not many hackers/spyware people are familiar with trying to get into vistas buggs.
and if you have a capable computer ... hey WHY NOT?

Yea I'm getting Vista Home Premium.................Free!

Just purchased a new HP custom laptop and it comes with a free upgrade to Home Premium! ;)

Taken from Maximum PC- cut and shortened to save me time. (Things in parenthesis are my input)
The whole thing is basically saying wait to buy vista
1- Vista Requires a fairly powerful machine
2- Application Imcompatibilities
3- Vista is crazy expensive
4- No hardware audio- in other words they removed a couple crucial gaming audio related features from vista including directsound 3D, which hundreds of games use to deliver positional 5.1 audio. (i was actually running vista beta and sound for warcraft3 wasnt working so that explained it.)
5- Vista doesnt work with a lot of bleeding edge hardware. bios wont work, nor usb high speed mic
6- Vista doesnt work well with some games. it metions a thing called Punkbuster that limits cheating, and it doensnt work, b/c it needs admin access and neither the game or system will tell you.
7-Vista includes consumer unfriendly DRM. Talks about how vista doesnt support cable card (which allows users to access high def content from their cable or satellite providers, without being tied to the device supplied by the tv provider. The fundamental probelm is that for certain key low level operations, such as video rendering, vista has been designed to give third parties- the content providers- veto rights over crucial aspects of your system.
8- Poor Driver support. ATI and nVidia should have drivers ready by launch, but expect really big problems with hardware. Mice and keyboards will work, but programs to change preferences like sensitivity wont be working, and wont be out for a while. if vista follows the same timeline as xp, drivers will be scarce for the first 2 months while vendors slowly certify their products to run the new OS. (I liked how i didnt have to install any drivers though when i installed beta)
9- Vista is kind of annoying. Its always asking you if its ok to install things. (and even on beta, every time i ran firefox it asked me if it was ok. and i know this will probably be fixed, but when i clicked firefox, then say clicked back onto itunes to change the song, the notification thing went away, and i had to go into task manager to close it. Making me re-click firefox.)
10- You can wait.
really more of a conclusion rather than a reason. but it just says the only people that should be getting vista are people with DXX cards, and people awaiting their Crysis preorders. It only helps to wait.

Dont get me wrong here, if your convinced never to buy vista, I actually really enjoyed vista beta, the small problems i had i thought would be fixed when vista was released. I especially liked the chess, and the looks of the OS.

I got maximum PC today and read the article and I agree with them. I don't like the DRM and I think that's a big turnoff. They also compared the price of linux (free), OSX (as little as 40 dollars) and vista ultimate (400). I think more people now than ever will start to turn to other platforms that are cheaper, more secure and more stable because the cost of vista and it's "security" don't match other operating systems. I'm sure people will still use windows for gaming but for all around use, I see other platforms gaining popularity in the not too distant future. That's just my opinion and how I see it so feel free to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom