Where do accents come from?

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
and Why do people have different accents?

I mean Australians don't sound English, and Americans don't have English even though they came from the same place for the most part.

These are two questions I have for homework for Speech class and any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, accents come from the people around you. Be around southern people long enough and you will start talking with a southern accent.

Like my cousin had a roommate from Wisconsin, and people from Wisconsin have a little different accent and she started speaking like her roommate after a couple years of living with her. It wasn't like a full accent, but you could hear it in the way she talked.

I'm sure many people will disagree with this, but being a Christian I gotta say it, so just respect my beliefs, i'm sure a lot of you will. = )

Anyways, where they orginated is explained in the Old Testament in the book of Genesis Chp 11. Mor commonly known as the tower of Babel. A brief summary of this chapter explained how the people decided that they would do things on their own, much as the old testament explains. Anyways, they were like, hey look how good we are, and because of this giant tower, we will become famous, and no one will scatter, because we will be the biggest,baddest city ever. Then God goes, uhm i don't think so, and made them all scatter by speaking in different languages, thus calling the city Babel, because thats what they were doing.

Thus, how i believe it happen, agree or disagree, but don't flame me for my beliefs or even agrue with them. Just post what you think what happpened, like i did, and do believe.

lol yeah how its lifed :p jp,
um yeah my teacher said its about different interactions and as languages are carried from person to person dialects develop

Back
Top Bottom