The future of processors

TRDCorolla said:
Wow, the PS3's getting a boost with their second gen processor. 6GHz?!?! It also claims to run @ 5GHz on servers too, whew. I have never seen that happen.

Research goals for the project included testing new chip design methods and investigating "how to move terabytes of data rapidly between cores on-chip and between the cores and memory."

Advanced Micro Devices will discuss its quad-core Barcelona, due to arrive in mid-2007.

They didn't say the second-gen Cell is going to be in the PS3. They just said the second-gen Cell processor would be clocked at about 6Ghz.

Hey, I wouldnt be to supprised. Look at windows 95, minimum req is 20mhz. That was 12 years ago. Now we have 3600mhz P4s and dual cores and whatnot. Thats a huge difference. Technology moves so quick. I once read a post about intels plan to make like a 70 core processor. That kind of goes along with Troy's idea I think. Technology gets amazing so quick. Just wait within 2 years of 6ghz processors coming out we'll have 10ghz and cool stuff like that. Thats why I want a job in this area, designing and cool geeky stuff, lol.

actually that is a good idea

since a gpu is just pretty much another processor...maybe they would start coming out with just the processors for the video card that would work with the video cards..like a second processor on the board...of course everything else would be done by the processor but maybe physics could be done on the gpu one?

just an idea though

but 6ghz......woooooooooooow

also with this expansion of processors you have to think about how fast video cards and everything else upgrades...and yet game makers still make games better and better to keep up to look the nicest lol

It'll be a while before CPU/GPU combos become practical. Just dealing with the heat is already a problem.

They should inclue micro cooling rods in order to provide more cooling on the CPU.

lol in the way future the board with have 2 processors..a graphix version which will be quad core..and a normal quad core processor for normal things...maybe even a small processor just for physx.....4gb of ram.......liquid nitrogen cooled lol

and for all we know they may find a way to use fiber optics for everything in a mobo....etc.....also they are makign ways to have normal cells hold memory...the future of computers is going to be just wowign!

Xiggy said:
lol in the way future the board with have 2 processors..a graphix version which will be quad core..and a normal quad core processor for normal things...maybe even a small processor just for physx.....4gb of ram.......liquid nitrogen cooled lol

and for all we know they may find a way to use fiber optics for everything in a mobo....etc.....also they are makign ways to have normal cells hold memory...the future of computers is going to be just wowign!

actually I read something about using a method of wiring inside cases for mobos and all that but it was faster than optic, or maybe it was optic. i can't remember but I thought it was pretty dang cool!

I'd actually see those cooling rods be inplemented aside of it. Instead of convertic electricity to heat, it converts it to cool.

lhuser said:
They should inclue micro cooling rods in order to provide more cooling on the CPU.

Until a form of cooling thats affordable and easy to use comes around, all that fancy schmancy nano-fan crap won't even come close in the near future. It's cool seeing it work, but when you start paying for it, it's not going to be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom