wont load windows

infernohelldogs

Solid State Member
yesterday i finished my first computer build. well actually i just put all my parts in and connected all the cables.

whenever i turn on the computer it gives me the options: "press f1 to continue, press del to enter setup" del enters the bios. when i hit f1 it says: "media test failure. Please check cable" and then it shows that four more times and finally says "Please insert disc and press enter." ive tried putting my windows disc in and hitting enter and it just repeats the media test failure thing.

Did i not do something correct? does this have to do with my DVD drive? How do i fix this and what exactly did i do wrong?

the dvd drive has the power cable in it and HDD cable in it. i looked at another desktop computer at my house and it has three cables in it, those two and a four prong one.

if you can help me that would be great, thanks.

I would say make sure your jumpers are set correctly or else the device won't work. So if your dvd/hard drive is connected to the primary ide cable then make sure the dvd drive jumper is set on single if you have only one device on the ide cable or either set to dual master or slave if you have two devices connected to the ide cable. I hope this makes sense.

there is one dvd drive and thats it. do i have to set something up in the bios? because in the bios it knows the drive is there.

Okay if the computer knows the dvd drive is there you should have everything set correctly. The next thing you want to do is go into your bios by hitting the del key and then you want to change the boot order so the dvd drive is the first in the list. Then you can pop in your windows cd, restart your computer and windows should start installing. I am pretty sure thats what you have to do but I may be wrong cause I haven't done that for awhile. But try that and see if it works.

okay same problem happening and i changed the boot order.

before i have the choice to press del or f1 it says "floppy disk(s) fail (40)" is that important?

also does it mater which SATA channel the hard drive is on, it is on five now. should i put it on SATA channel 1?

here is what it says:

"Boot from CD"

"boot agent
nvidia corp...
intel corp...
media test failure, check cable
exiting nvdia boot agent"

and then after it does it 5 times

"insert system disk and press enter"

For the error message "floppy disk(s) fail (40)" try switching the floppy cable around or try a different cable if you have one. Since in is new it shouldn't be faulty but there is always a chance that it could be.

I am not to firmilar with sata hd's but put it to SATA channel 1 just to be safe.
Try these two things first and see if they help, then post back.

Thats odd how you get that error message if you don't have a floppy. Go to your bios and see if there is an option that will let you disable the floppy.

i got rid of the floppy error message, but it still doesnt work.

when it says media test failure, is it talking about the cd drive or hard drive. in other words what is not working?

maybe there is media test failure cuz ur dvd drive is not good enuff to read the windows disk. buy a good cd drive and try again.

Back
Top Bottom