Question with an Ethernet, Wireless network.

Tknier188

Solid State Member
As of right now, i have three computers all hooked up to a wireless router the linksys one, not sure of the name...

But my computer i mainly use for gaming and p2p file sharing. But i don't get good DL speeds... like 5/kbs and my ping is like 150.

I was reading and it seems that the wireless router is a slow model. I am already hook up to it by an Ethernet cable so i was thinking. If i get an Ethernet router. i could plug it to my model then to my computer then to the wireless. so it goes like this because i don't know how to explain it better.

Modem>>> Ethernet router >>> Wireless router

or i could get a hub... I'm so confused .

ps we have a high speed internet connection

Im not sure what ya asking here, but i think your trying to speed your wireless up. The method your suggesting wont do this. The only way to speed the wireless up is by getting a better wireless router. Although you may already have a decent wireless router, and be getting problems from something else. Post your system specs and your wireless router make/model so we can help you better

I'm not sure but here are the specs.

Wireless router: Linksys Wrt45g v.3
Modem: Motorola SB4200 SURFboard cable modem

My Ethernet card: Realtek RTL8134 Family PCI fast Ethernet NIC

My computer specs: AMD athlon XP 2600+
768 DDR

Have you tried to update the firmware on the router. And what exactly are ya wanting to do, can you explain a bit better?

I wouldn't try and use a wireless internet connection for gaming. This sort of connection is great for surfing the web/email, etc, but it's bandwidth is limited.

Instead, find a good wireless router that has wired connections as well. Use your gaming PC with the wired connection and everything else with the wireless connection.

okay this is i want to do. I want to take an cable from my modem then plug it into an ethernet router, and a cable will connect the Ethernet router to the wireless router.

So my gaming computer will be plugged into the Ethernet router and the other two computers will be plugged into the wireless router.

so it looks like this

untitled-1.jpg

Seems a bit redundant to me.. I'd just get a new wireless router that has wired connections.

As Raffaz mentioned, make sure the firmwares are up to date on each router you're using.

Back
Top Bottom