Cisco vs other routers

samb057

Beta member
What is the difference between a cisco router and the other routers. I notice that Cisco routers go up to thousands of dollars. I know there must be big differences, but what are they?

Thanks

samb057 said:
What is the difference between a cisco router and the other routers. I notice that Cisco routers go up to thousands of dollars. I know there must be big differences, but what are they?

Thanks

First off, I am one of these people that run cisco routers :D

First off Cisco routers run it's own propertiary operating system called IOS. This is roughly based off of Unix, and very powerful. Most other Cisco equipment also runs IOS, CatOS or PixOS, all of which are propertiary Unix based OS's.

Cisco equipment is also typically the most stable stuff on the market. For mission critical routers, they can run 10 years without being shutoff or rebooted.

Cisco equipment also has the best feature set, and is generally on top of other companys for having the latest and greatest features.

Also Cisco equipment is much more configurable than other stuff on the market. It gives you the power to configure every single last detail. Most equipment is configurable thru their CLI (Command Line Interface) which takes years to master but has more power than any other configuration method.

Also Cisco's high end equipment is VERY fast, however their low end stuff is slower than alot of stuff thats half the price.

Back
Top Bottom