Possible PSU Problem

So the video card has been replaced before? Hmm, I don't see how a power supply could affect it though. Does the 6800GT need additional power from the power supply? By that I mean do you have to plug an additional 4-pin power connector directly onto the video card itself? Some video cards need more power that way to run.

Yes the card has been replaced before. At first the memory heatsinks on the card fell off and then the card got so hot the voltage regulators melted off (I am not kidding). Anyways I was able to get a brand new card, So this card is about 5 months old and the rest of the computer is 11 months. Yes i have to plug a 4-pin power connector in the card and it had always been connected.

It's still hard to say if it is the power supply. I've never had experience with this part of the problem. What happens if you were to disconnect that 4-pin power connector from the video card? Will it still run? Don't do it while the PC is on though.

TRDCorolla said:
It's still hard to say if it is the power supply. I've never had experience with this part of the problem. What happens if you were to disconnect that 4-pin power connector from the video card? Will it still run? Don't do it while the PC is on though.
Its the video card,First this card needs lots of power to run,If you have an off brand psu,You could be giving this card very low voltage which will damage it,Any well known brand psu are close to true power,give or take by 50 watts,If you buy a cheap power supply and the name on it says example ..dytou 400 watts,This psu could be giving you a actual read out of only maybe 250 - 275 watts.This explains why many manufactures give you a recommended psu power for their video cards,they dont want you to under power, because this can cause damage to the card.i would look into your psu first.

TRDCorolla - I unplugged the 4 pin power connector from the card and the computer booted up but it didn't let me do anything without getting a bunch of error messages. No offense but how would this fix the problem?

PB - I got a brand name 450 watt psu so I don't think the card is underpowered. Is there maybe a program I can use to test the card to see if it is the problem? So are you guessing that is the psu? Thats what I was thinking at first but then I thought it might also be the card. I am going to try to get a replacement psu and see if that helps.

I'm just throwing ideas. I have no clue really. I remember there were members on here that have a high performance video card installed without using the power from the power supply, even though they clearly have the little 4-pin power socket on the video card. It ran fine for them, so I assumed it might work the same for you. But yea, leave it plugged in then if you're getting wierd results.

VirtualDrone said:
TRDCorolla - I unplugged the 4 pin power connector from the card and the computer booted up but it didn't let me do anything without getting a bunch of error messages. No offense but how would this fix the problem?

PB - I got a brand name 450 watt psu so I don't think the card is underpowered. Is there maybe a program I can use to test the card to see if it is the problem? So are you guessing that is the psu? Thats what I was thinking at first but then I thought it might also be the card. I am going to try to get a replacement psu and see if that helps.
if you have a good power supply connected thats good,But it could always be faulty and not delivering the 12 volts a video card needs,You can try swapping power supplies,But try this below first.
Try slowing down the AGP port,some boards and cards act strange together.See if the problem clears up,also check all other video card adjustments.

PB said:
if you have a good power supply connected thats good,But it could always be faulty and not delivering the 12 volts a video card needs,You can try swapping power supplies,But try this below first.
Try slowing down the AGP port,some boards and cards act strange together.See if the problem clears up,also check all other video card adjustments.
Well according to asus probe my psu delivers steady around 12 volts. I can't really swap psu cause I don't have a spare, I am going to try to get a replacement instead(if that is the problem). What do you mean slow down the agp port? I have a pci-e card. And how would I do this?

I think he means that in the BIOS, there's an option to adjust the speed of the AGP port. Traditionally, they're preset to 8x. You can move the slider down to 4x, 2x, 1x. Since you have PCI-express, that doesn't really apply. Unless there's a way to move that down in which I don't know about. I don't usually tamper with video settings in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom