965 vs. 975 chipset

well actually, TRD, thats not a bad point. why not just get quad core. and until they make the right rev's and what not and the quad aspect of it becomes fully usable couldnt one just turn off those cores and use it as a core 2 duo but then obviously have the quad core ready to go when its time??? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh this is making me nuts lol

im more indecisive now then ever

The only thing with Quad core is that it's kind of new and I'm not sure how they compare to dual core yet. Logically, quad core is "suppose" to be better because it has "four" cores which equals to better multitasking right? In that sense, it makes me think that a quad core CPU is better than dual core. I could be watching a movie, encoding some sound, burning a CD, and even have a game running in the background all at the same time with no significant slow down (pending RAM and other config of course).

But on the other hand you are spending a lot, I mean A LOT of money on a CPU and I'm sure you want to have the very best. Maybe the X6800 is better because of the high clock speed, but the Kentsfield core is quad core which is also pretty good too. Hmmmm. Maybe make another thread with a poll on which CPU to get. See what other people would like. Either way, the Intel Extreme CPUs are really nice to have--dual core or quad core.

like i told you, you can always "overclock" a E6700 very easily. That'll save you a good 400 dollars. Remember when dual cores came out? Programs weren't optimized for it. Same with quad cores now. Very little programs are optimized for it. I only know of one benchmark and who knows how many audio mixing programs. I would say right now go for the E6700 right now and quad core later when all 4 cores are on one die. If you want the extra mhz out of the X6800, the 300 or so mhz difference isnt that bad, easily made up for by the E6700, heck even the E6600 can do it on stock cooling ;)

Ownage, thing is, I'm a Sonar DAW user. GUess what, its multi-threaded program lol. it will really use the quad cores ya know what i mean. so for me, its a different story. and i hear ya on the point of when core 2 duo came out and no progs were available but really, how long did it take for it to catch up? not long at all. so for me, its real nice to have quad core

yeah that works, but actually little to none of the programs today are multi-threaded. So its still taking a while for the whole mainstream user to get a dual core.

Final Verdict guys??

If quad core is not much more, go for it....?

If quad core is out, Core 2 Duo with 975 or 965 chipset...? and with that I can upgrade the processor later to quad cores with those chipsets.....?

If it is indeed Core 2 Duo, then 975 or 965?????

And the average price for my system is believe it or not, 2200 - 2300. So mine is priced nicely.

Go with top of the line everything, hehe. 975x and quad core. You would have the sweetest setup on here. I don't think there is anyone on here that has quad core.

Back
Top Bottom