965 vs. 975 chipset

Actually, Windows XP can see 4GB RAM...but if you want, get Windows Server and you;ll have up to 64GB RAM. You get that and I bash your head.

The Bad Axe 2 is the best board, IMO. It comes with all the stuff you need, as well as SLIing three 8800GTX.

That 7300GT card will bottleneck your system. You see, the clocks on it are so slow, the Core 2 Quad series are going to be slowing down a lot.
If you want a beast system, a 7900GT or better is recommended.

Although...
QX6800, 8800GTX x3, 4GB DDRII-1111, 1KW PSU, 1.5TB storages, Water cooling, OC of almost 200% of everything...that would equal to...something too fast it's practically useless.

Hi Ownage..just to answer some of your questions. and no need to sigh buddy, things are not as clear cut out there as you may think ;)

sigh*
1. Get X6800 only IF you are going to overclock. If not, no point in getting one.

well, and I knoooow clock cycles isnt everything, but it is something. afterall, you over clockers out there wouldnt exist lol, but the 6800 has the 2.93mhz

2. I dont understand how that could come up to 2k. Just doesnt seem right to me.

As of now, with these parts:
power = $81
mobo= 107
proc = 960
cooling = 30
video card= 93
ram = 520
and these parts i didnt list, which i apologise but dont really break or make this anyways
seagate hard 120g = 60
gigabit ntwk card = 120
PIONEER, DVR-111DBK 16x DVD±R/RW Dual Layer= 60
total= 2031 w/o labor charge

3. If you really are going to spend 2k, why get a rosewill powersupply? You might be signing your computer's death wish with that.

Ok...thanks....I'll look into that, I wans't aware that's why I'm asking on the forum.

4. 4GB of RAM is not needed. Windows XP will only see 3GB of it. If you are going to use XP-64, then that's okay as it will see all 4GB.

Yep, I know. Eventually I am expanding to xp64. Not now.

5. Motherboard, why get a P965 chipset? 975x is faster clock for clock. Bad Axe 2 is a great board.

From what I've read, and actually from what YOU TYPED EARLIER lol the 965 actually possesses faster FSB with looser timings. 975, just the opposite. 975 supports crossfire, which is great for gamers. I dont need it. They both support quad core in case of upgrade.

6. If you are going to use this for audio stuff, why not get a nice sound card?

Got a phenominal one man ;)

7. If you are using this for gaming, a 7300 is definitely not going to cut it.

Not gaming. Audio.

8. Again, audio or gaming or whatever you are going, a 80GB hard drive is barely enough. You will need a lot more space. Try the Seagate 7200.10 320GB one. Very good performance for under 100 bucks.

i'll have plenty of hd, cause i also have some new drives i just recently bought that i can install along with external ones. plus, the one I forgot to mention that i listed above

The Intel Core 2 Extreme alone is a thousand dollars. So basically, it's almost another thousand for all the other stuff. 4GB of RAM has got to cost around $500. Then there's another hundred some odd dollars for the motherboard, Case, HD, video card, etc. I can definitely see it being close to two grand.

But you can get away with 2GB of RAM. If Windows does claim to support so much RAM, then don't get anything more than it requires.

okay...didnt know you had a sound card cuz you didnt list it :p since no gaming, the 7300GT is okay, i would opt for the 7600GT though, just incase you would like to frag around once in a while. Anyways...the thing is with AMD and Intel "extreme series" cpus, you aren't buying the clock speed. You are buying the unlock multiplier and the name. The E6700 (clocked at 2.66Ghz) will do just fine with a little FSB tweaking. the E6700 is 266 x 10 and the X6800 is 266 x 11. To get the E6700 up to the X6800 speeds, you just need to raise the FSB 27Mhz. I gurantee you that it is possible. Heck, if you do that, you will get better performance as higher bus speeds means faster RAM. Its relatively simple too. Just change one number to the one you want and voila, you're done! This will save you roughly 400 bucks. And with that extra 400 bucks, you can spend it on something else. Just giving you something to think about ;)
And about the 975x and 965 comparison....the 965 chipset has a higher maximum FSB, so you can go up to 600FSB or something like that, but with the 975x, you're limited to around 540 or so. But clock for clock, 975x is faster than 965. And i can see that you won't be clocking into the 600 or 500 FSB range, so 975x is the one for you.

Save some money on the gigabit network card too. I think the Bad Axe 2 comes with dual Gigabit LAN ports. So you're set there.

And in just in case you were wondering, I was sighing because i saw the brand Rosewill in a 2000 dollar build. 'tis all.

LOL, which one is truely better? Dual core or Quad core?

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557X6800 - Retail

$958.00

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6700 - Retail

$1,009.00

Oh, it's a mere $60 difference.

Yeah, but can't you OC the QX6700 to the X6800's speed and also have the advantage of quad core? You can do 4x the amount of work the dual core would do, at least that's how I see it logically running on the same frequency once you OC it.

I'm pretty sure he's going to do some audio encoding. Audio isnt as demanding as video, so speed matters here. In this current situation X6800>QX6700

Good stuff there Ownage, thanks. I'm going to look into all of it.

Yeah, this computer is for audio, mixing, encoding, audio processing only.

So then, as long as the 965 or 975 is used, isn't it a better buy to get the core 2 duo system with one of these chipsets and buy a quad core processor to upgrade to quad core later on the same comp?

Back
Top Bottom