PC and Home Theater Integration

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a PCVRS430G Sony VAIO PC of many years ago. I recently bought a Home Theater System, a Phillips HTS3440. I was disappointed that there wasn't any Fiber Optic Input, as my older home theater system did. I did find an Digital Input for the "Coaxial" cable. I want to hook up my computer on my Home Theater system.

So I have a few questions:

1) Which of these would be considered an "SPDIF Output"? According to Sony, my computer has this out put, but I can't quite find it.

2) If I watch movies (DVD) or play video games that supports surround sound, will it be able to do this using the SPDIF Output on my 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System?

3) What advantages does Fiber Optic Audio Input than a SPDIF "Digital" "Coaxial" Input?

4) According to an article I read, the Coaxial cable would be the same as the "Composite video cable" that comes with every Home THeater System. Is this true?

5) On my manual on the Home Theater System, it says to "Connect the FM Antenna to the FM jack. Extend the wire and fix its END TO THE WALL". On the capitalized part, how do I put the wire to the wall? I'm confused.

6) Should I return this one and get a better deal that supports Fiber Optic Input?

ok, for 1+2 ill have to email you, because i dont know how to put pics. in here, email me at: dalercr03@sbcglobal.net

? 3: they ultimately send the same signal, digital 5.1 sound, but coaxial is an RCA cable using a signal, not light like with the fibre optic, so with this being said, if the coaxial cable lies next to any type of electronic device i.e. dvd player, receiver, power adapter, cooling fan etc. it can pick up distortion and transfer this into your sound, and it will be noticable, now... with fibre optic, this uses a red LED to transfer the signal of the sound through very short bursts of light, with this being said it is a light signal and no type of distortion can be picked up, just make sure there are no kinks in the cable, and make sure that it is as straight as can be

? 4:no there really isnt a difference, except the sheilding of the cable, if its long you want to get the true coaxial cable, if its short, you could use a standard composite video (yellow) , or RCA audio (red,white)

? 5: im not really sure what they mean either, you dont really need to attach it to the wall in any way, all you need to do is attach the antenna to the jack, and that should do it, just unwind the cable so it can receive a good signal

? 6: YES!! i would highly recommend returning this and saving up for fibre optic, give me a price range, speaker type, room size and ill find one that will work well for your needs

i looked up that home theater, it already has a dvd player doesnt it? there would be no point in hooking up the computer, except for games like you said, but im not sure what games you have, and if they support the sound card you have, we'll just have to see

Back
Top Bottom