Dell XPS comps

uh yes, PCI-E is the new mobo standard for gpu...so you'll have to make sure and go PCI-E if you plan on staying up to date.

draik said:
For a video card, would I want to go with something more along the lines of PCI express for gaming?

Yes. The most bang-for-your-buck video card right now would be a 7600GT, which can be had for $100-$130. Try looking on Tigerdirect.com.

ok, so fromt he sounds of it, Dell is not the way to go. I was tipped off to another page buy someone I know from WoW (World of Warcraft) www.cyberpowerpc.com. He said that he and his girlfreind got PC's from here and were thoroughly satisied with what they got. The website allowed for customization, and it seems like you gte more bang for your buck here, and that you arent buying a name. So here are the specs for the machine I customized through them, and I am looking for feedback on.

CASE: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower 420W Case W/ Side-panel Window

CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)MSI K9N4 SLI-F nForce 500 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD: NEW !!! NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

LCD Monitor: ViewSonic Q9B 19" COLOR TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor (Black) (Original Black)

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Optical Drive: (Special Price) 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

This also comes with surround sound speakers, and mouse and keyboard obviously. Thanks for the quick responses your giving me guys. Your opinions are very helpful in this new process :).

sounds good but if you're going to game, i'd go with 2GB RAM and possibly an intel core 2 duo processor if you can afford it. If you can't afford a core 2 then go with 2GB RAM.

Alright on your last comment about the intel core 2 duo processor, I was searching around on there website and came across this. Sorry for such the long posts =P.

CASE: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower 420W Case W/ Side-panel Window
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® D 945 Dual-Core CPU @ 3.4GHz 800FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5N-SLI nForce 570 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &5.1Audio
MEMORY: 1GB (2x512MB) PC4200 DDR2 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: NEW !!! NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCI Express x16 Video Card
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
LCD Monitor: 17" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Optical Drive: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: (Special Price) 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

that one's alright, only downside about the pentium D is that it produces more heat than an AMD athlon would. something like this might be better for gaming IMO but it's all up to you http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/infxlc.asp?v=d The Pentium D is nice and all but they tend to produce a lot of heat compared to the core 2 duo or AMD athlon.

That one is a little oevr my price range, which can easily be fixed by removing the second video card. If I were to remove the second video card, how well would that machine still be? My price range is just under 1300 right now. So I can always order another video card down the line.

I didn't read the rest of the thread. If you are building a gaming PC, it's nice two have video cards for SLi. SLi is basically using the power of two video cards (in which each one have their own GPU-graphic processing unit) and combining it to make video processing smoother and faster, supposedly. But that's going to add more cost to your build though.

I like to just get one good video card and leave at that. I just don't see too much of an advantage now on getting two.

Back
Top Bottom