DVI cable not working with video card

eapro

In Runtime
My monitor has DVI-D and my BFGtech 8800GTX card takes DVI only. The DVI-D cable that came with my dell 24" monitor fit's in the videocard port but id unable to carry the signal.

Is the a converter I could use? I can't believe there is no standard here.

Currently I'm using VGA because I have no choice.

So then whats the problem? you plug it in and it doesn't work? Most LCD monitors that support both VGA and DVI have an option to switch between the two.. they don't auto select.

Plug it back into DVI and play around with the monitor a bit.

DVI-D is the same interface as DVI, just the D means digital. The difference between single and dual link is bandwidth and the signal is able to reach higher resolutions. It should work.

You don't undrestand. The monitor has several inputs including VGA (which I currently use) and DVI-D which is what I want to use.

The only problem is, my video card has a DVI-I input. So the dvi cable that came with the display doesn't fit the video card slot (dvi-i).

DVI-I is essentially digital and analog. All DVI ports should be the same, with the same pin layout and pin holes. The only difference is the number of pins and their location.

277px-DVI_Connector_Types_svg.png

The cable that came with my display is DVI-D (single link but the input is dual). It fits in my video card (DVI-I dual link) but doesn't carry any signal.

I hope this clears up all the confusion. If not, I can take pics.

Back
Top Bottom