Dark Messiah and 7600gt

sabbath70

Solid State Member
Hi, my stats on my PC are:

AMD x2 4200
1.5gb ram (2 x 512mb infineon dual channel, 1 x 512mb PNY)
Evga 7600gt @ 600/800
300W Crappy Power Supply
MSI micro board

Windows XP Professional x64
Nvidia Forceware 93.81 beta

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has recently become unplayable for me. It will drop to 10 frames per second and its basically unplayable. I have all background tasks closed and everything and every other game like css and guild wars will play fine. Could this be the drivers?

Yeah, very possible. Downgrade to the latest stable version.

I never go with Beta Drivers.

I downgraded to the 93.71 drivers and still no luck. I can only get around 20 FPS on 800 x 600 with most settings on low. Is this normal? or could it be my power supply or CPU?

Oh shit, I didnt even notice. You have only a 300W PSU.

Its a neccessity to have at least 350W. I have a 375W in my computer, and im still loosing about 40-60FPS in CS:S.

The card is reccomended from newegg to have a 400W PSU and from the eVGA site to have at least 350W.

Your pushing it with only a 300W. It may be a low power consumption card, but damn!! Thats low lol

Edit-
You are talking about having the eVGA 7600GT KO edition?

Edit-
Well it doesnt matter really. They are the same chipset so they consume the same power.

I think im a little under powered in the PSU department...not as bad as you.. im running an Antec 400W with a 4200+ x2 AM2, 7600gt, 3 gb of ram (2x512gb 2x 1gb) and MSI board. I never saw my FPS on it but..Im sure im suffering because of my PSU aswell.. In my alienware i have a 580W Im gona switch them out

Your probably only about 50w lower then you should be. I wouldnt worry if I were you.

Hell im not even worring and im 75w less then id like to be.

But the thread owner should be worried lol

ok here is my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1145725&lang=en
It's an hp m7248n with the upgraded 512 memory stick and 7600gt. What would be my best option. Just replacing the power supply? I think i can only get a micro-atx one but im not sure. Or put it in a new case with a new ATX power supply? Or a new motherboard and case and power supply? Any suggestions, because this 300W wont be able to handle any new vid cards and even my current one.

Damn....

how much cash do you have to work with?

Your best bet is to get a new mobo that will fit in a new case. And then stick it in a new case with a an FPS source (I thnk whats its called) 450w.

Well i didn't get too much for xmas and my bday is on Jan. 13th. I'm only 15 and my parent would probably give me 300 and right now i have 150. Also i have an opportunity to sell my friend my 7600gt so i could always upgrade everything? if it is worth it. idk how good a socket 939 x2 4200 will be

yeah the PSU is definatly the root of your problems. I have a 460 watt Enermax power supply.. runs my 7600GT perfectly.

Your motherboard is microATX.. so you don't have to get a new motherboard if you want a bigger case.. microATX motherboards fit perfectly fine in ATX mid tower cases.

How big is your current power supply? I don't imagine that it would be too much smaller (if at all) from a different one.. I imagine you could just replace the power supply and be done with it..

Back
Top Bottom