The future of processors

x86 or x86-64? probably not ;) Under 100W is just incredible for 6Ghz, kind of hard to believe too. The less amount of pipelines, the lower the heat, but clocks will be slow. The more pipelines stages, the higher the Ghz, but it ups the heat too. at 6Ghz, the heatloss will be tremendous, especially with multiple cores. The chip will get far too hot.

wow that's cool! I still would like to see a company implement my idea even though I don't think it's even possible. My idea is a processor that can expand into as many cores as needed and at varying frequency rates (say from 1MHZ to 2.0GHZ or something) and each process gets its own core and its own amount of speed so that way there would be less bottlenecking. There wouldn't be one set speed, instead it would vary depending on CPU load and how much memory something uses etc. It probably sounds stupid but I think it's kinda unique.

ownage said:
x86 or x86-64? probably not ;) Under 100W is just incredible for 6Ghz, kind of hard to believe too. The less amount of pipelines, the lower the heat, but clocks will be slow. The more pipelines stages, the higher the Ghz, but it ups the heat too. at 6Ghz, the heatloss will be tremendous, especially with multiple cores. The chip will get far too hot.

The new technology might be different than what we know now. Even if it is hot maybe it will be designed to run hotter than what todays temperature standards are...

Cooling hasn't advanced too far yet. Heatsinks cooled by fans are still the popular way of cooling microprocessors, so don't expect anything advanced yet. There are peltiers, but they cost WAY too much for the average consumer and they consumer incredible amounts of power.

Wow, the PS3's getting a boost with their second gen processor. 6GHz?!?! It also claims to run @ 5GHz on servers too, whew. I have never seen that happen.

Research goals for the project included testing new chip design methods and investigating "how to move terabytes of data rapidly between cores on-chip and between the cores and memory."

Advanced Micro Devices will discuss its quad-core Barcelona, due to arrive in mid-2007.

well i want to know how much this processor is going to cost, because you know that something this big is going to cost a fortune, so i guess we'll be looking at about a $2000+ processor. the reason i say that is because i was thinking about getting an intel extreme until i found out the cheapest one will cost about $900

I'll get a quad core once it's "the standard" meaning that apps that utilize it are mainstream. I haven't even gotten dual core yet so that will be my next move since it's cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom